If you could change one thing about dive training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esprise Me

Kelp forest dweller
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Training standards being too low is a perennial topic of discussion around here, along with routine violations of those standards that exist. The discussion most often centers around OW certification, but AOW and specialty courses are popular targets too, and even tech courses are not above criticism.

So, you get one wish. You can create a single new rule that will be universally followed, or you can choose to make everyone follow an existing rule that only certain agencies have or that individual instructors often disregard. You can choose something that will make diving safer, something that will bring in more people, something that will keep the bicycle-kicking morons in the sandy shallows where they won't mess up your dive-- whatever criteria are important to you. But no wishing for more wishes chicanery--pick one thing!

I think the standards for becoming a DM or Instructor need to be raised. Specifically the number of dives or experience required should not include training dives only real world dives outside of a class environment. I feel if you raise the bar on the people doing the training the people being trained will improve. But this would put a dent in the bottom line of the puppy mills that are pumping out DM's and Instructors which makes the agencies money.

If I could make one universally obligatory rule for general dive training I would suggest:

You cannot do AOW especially with the deep dive cert if you don't atleast have 50 dives and dive master would take a minimum 100 dives. This would not garantuee quality, but it would atleast make sure you have some 'water comfort'.

It's not that much and there's plenty of fun to be had at 60 feet. It would prevent alot of dangerous situations you see.

Aside from stuff like screening those "bicyclists" before the enter OW, etc. (which I fully agree with, maybe even requiring SOME snorkeling experience first, even in a pool)-- my one thing would be--

Every one should get some basic rescue skills training in OW course. I know NAUI does something with this, and SEI.
The biggest one would be what to do if your buddy panics. There are others I won't get into. Along with that would be required CPR training for all. Not like in the PADI manual "Now get to a place where you can do CPR"--That's assuming you or somebody else who happens to be there has had training. You and a buddy, newbie or not, are certified to dive together without anyone else present. Solo is another topic. Likewise with the panicked diver---"First thing is to establish positive buoyancy"--Yes, but how?-- you haven't been taught how to flip him around to establish the "knee-cradle" position to inflate his BC.

I know some will say it is too much for an OW student to swallow in such a short time. We know that solution-- make the course longer and charge more, and the heck with it of that deters some from ever becoming divers. Apparently that's the way it was many decades ago. Then we wouldn't read of every SB member saying everyone should eventually take a Rescue course.

I think the standards for becoming a DM or Instructor need to be raised. Specifically the number of dives or experience required should not include training dives only real world dives outside of a class environment. I feel if you raise the bar on the people doing the training the people being trained will improve. But this would put a dent in the bottom line of the puppy mills that are pumping out DM's and Instructors which makes the agencies money.
I think this makes sense regarding number of dives required. What would you do to increase the "experience" required? I general, what other ways would you raise the bar on standards? PADI revised the DM course in 2010, just after I finished, removing a lot of the theory and adding some more practical stuff. That made sense to me. Now the instructor course includes that theory (so I read). What specific ideas do you have to improve the standards other than number of dives required? Types of dives, perhaps? Depths of dives?

Require all CDs/ITs to earn GUE fundies tec pass in order to maintain teaching status.

All other instructors must earn a rec pass to maintain teaching status.

Oh the carnage that would ensue...... :rofl3:

I'm all for scuba training beyond OW having some minimum number of dives. Maybe something like 25 dives for AOW, 50 dives for Rescue. Divemaster should be increased to something like 100 dives, same as solo.

I did AOW at 80 dives, Rescue at 120 dives, Solo at 760 dives. I have done no professional training. I did a dive on the Duane with a fit young Navy man after he did 9 dives for AOW and nitrox, it was a disaster due to brisk current and no experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom