Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little suggestion, I by no means intend to offend you, but... maybe have a glass of Italian Red, kick back relax, & dream/imagine of how things could be normal again very soon...it's actually very refreshing for the mind

..As a matter of fact, it's something I myself plan to do on my time off from work

The country cannot subsidize the flights
You can also focus on what spendings a country should subsidize. There is no or little railway in Indonesia, besides that the country is huge and the ferry system is quite dated and slow. I believe it's one of the country's duty to finance transports in order to ensure the geographical continuity or the economic flows likewise european governements subsidized the domestic transports in the 19th and 20th centuries.
There are still a lot of routes in Europe which are government subsidized (For instance Corsica or all oversea territories in France).

I always doubted how it was possible to get a Ryanair plane flying from Parma (my town) to London Stansted for 19 Euros. And then spending more than 50 euros for the train form the airport to downtown London. It makes no sense!
How can this cover the expenses of flying an airplane?For many years it has been a wonderful world, without boundaries and where travelling was truly cheap and fast.
I do not think we will easily come back to that world...
Believe me RyanAir doesn't fly where it loses money! They get subsidies from regional gvts, agreements with local airports held by the local chamber of commerce (reason why they operate from/to remote airports), shorten their land time, increase the rotations, pay less their staff, use pilots to do the cabin cleaning, optimize the maintenance with the same type of carrier in their fleet.
About thinking "we will not easily come back to this world" it's something I already heard when petrol was sky high more than 130USD/barrel .. that was 15 years ago but the ailine industry recovered easily from high oil prices.
In 1977 all regular carriers sweared they could not propose flight at lesser costs, then Freddie Laker broke into the market with Laker airways all in suddenly flight prices from PanAm, AA or BA dropped by three times.
You can't go against demographics and demographics say there is more and more people traveling especially in the Asia area, there's a demand. It will probably evolve with less dependent fossil energy technologies but my forecast is that you won't see the seventies back again.

I have no fear of flying, never had. But if the planes are grounded, how can I fly? If the companies go bankrupt, how they can propose flights at affordable costs?
I am prepared to the fact that, in the "new normal" world, flying will not be so simple and so cheap, with a large number of flights to choose.
There will be only few, very expensive. As in the seventies. And for entering in many countries, you will need a visa or other paperworks...
I fear that the nice times where I could take a flight for everywhere, without concerns of costs or bureaucracy, are finished. It is sad, but what can I do for this?
The world is changing, it is out of my control...

In the 70's & 80's there was nowhere near as many planes in the sky as there is in this modern era. Many airlines have invested and recently bought and ordered even more new planes totalling in the hundreds of billions $$$
There's no possible way anybody or business will make money or recoup those amounts on the new planes alone, if they're not in the sky

I have no fear of flying, never had. But if the planes are grounded, how can I fly? If the companies go bankrupt, how they can propose flights at affordable costs?
I am prepared to the fact that, in the "new normal" world, flying will not be so simple and so cheap, with a large number of flights to choose.
There will be only few, very expensive. As in the seventies. And for entering in many countries, you will need a visa or other paperworks...
I fear that the nice times where I could take a flight for everywhere, without concerns of costs or bureaucracy, are finished. It is sad, but what can I do for this?
The world is changing, it is out of my control...

Boeing and Airbus shares are up 40% in the last month and that was the peak of covid. At the moment in the Australian share market, airlines and flight booking businesses are charting better than most other businesses

Can’t wait to see what the reciprocal ‘we were all in this together’ deals will be...although I’m pretty sure airlines will forget that mantra pretty quickly...

Yes, like I said... currently both their share prices are up 40% in the last month
They are slowly recovering, but they do not look so nice...
Boeing.png

Airbus.png

Of course in the next months the situation should improve, specially if, as I warmly hope, we will manage to avoid a second wave of infections. I really, really hope that the next year all of this nightmare will be over. However, what I see here every day is that a lot of people, companies and public administrations are steering towards a new model of business, human relationships and transfer of information and knowledge, where the physical presence is replaced by remote telepresence.
It appears that they do not think travelling will be again the standard way of being in contact. This is sad, it is something I am fighting, but, as said, whenever I propose to plan again to have physical meetings, lessons in presence, and to travel for doing our normal activity, I systematically get a refusal, and I am routed to these "modern" telepresence systems instead.

Regarding red wine: this is what I did just buy this morning (3 of them):
cantine-ceci-emilia-otello-etichetta-nera-lambrusco-cantine-1512132-s504.jpg

They are now in the refrigerator, this evening at least one of them will be emptied, together with some Parma's ham:
PROSCIUTTO-CRUDO-DI-PARMA-DOP-3-5-kg-extra-big-93-695.jpg

What would be the perfect scenario for us? Our dream? Strictly talking about our resorts. Scoot starts the planned route Singapore - Manado. As expected the rates will be much lower than the rates of Silk Air who served this route before. The new road from the airport to Bitung is open and the travel time from the airport to Divers Lodge Lembeh is 1 hour only. The airport of Lelilef, 25 minutes from Weda Resort will open for public flights. There will be direct flights from Manado to Morotai again. Morotai airport is only 1h15 from Magic bay Rao. Reliable fast testing for Covid-19 will be available worldwide and nobody has to worry too much about being infected in the airport/airplane. Early next year vaccines will become common and testing will be history. Everybody got used to wearing masks and keeping some distance, behaviour which prevents most of the infections with the common cold and flu. Of course, as long they are not vaccinated, all our staff will be tested frequently. They are trained in the new way of providing service for the transfers (by modified car), at the resorts and on the boats. Most of our guests will book the private boat service, which we already offer since 2005. Our restaurants are not air conditioned and have a very good ventilation. But on request the guests can have their meals on different moments than the others, or at the deck of their bungalow. As long needed, before going back home we will arrange testing for the guests and supply a health certificate for flying.

What would be the perfect scenario for us? Our dream? Strictly talking about our resorts. Scoot starts the planned route Singapore - Manado. As expected the rates will be much lower than the rates of Silk Air who served this route before. The new road from the airport to Bitung is open and the travel time from the airport to Divers Lodge Lembeh is 1 hour only. The airport of Lelilef, 25 minutes from Weda Resort will open for public flights. There will be direct flights from Manado to Morotai again. Morotai airport is only 1h15 from Magic bay Rao. Reliable fast testing for Covid-19 will be available worldwide and nobody has to worry too much about being infected in the airport/airplane. Early next year vaccines will become common and testing will be history. Everybody got used to wearing masks and keeping some distance, behaviour which prevents most of the infections with the common cold and flu. Of course, as long they are not vaccinated, all our staff will be tested frequently. They are trained in the new way of providing service for the transfers (by modified car), at the resorts and on the boats. Most of our guests will book the private boat service, which we already offer since 2005. Our restaurants are not air conditioned and have a very good ventilation. But on request the guests can have their meals on different moments than the others, or at the deck of their bungalow. As long needed, before going back home we will arrange testing for the guests and supply a health certificate for flying.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. The one thing that I didn’t see that I think is important everywhere (Not just dive resorts) is a commitment by employers to support employees when they get sick so they don’t feel that they have to come in to work. Far too many people feel that they are either indispensable at work or they can’t forgo the income if they get a mild illness so they “suck it up” and go in to work. We need to create a culture that says if you are sick stay home. I know I have done this for both reasons at different points in my life! Needs to change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom