Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good illustration of the difference of being warm. I dived the same site two Saurdays in a row. Last Saturday I was in my semidry and felt quite cold at the end (even though it was 21ºC). Yesterday I was in my drysuit (even though it was 21ºC) and was very comfortable for the whole dive.

RMV last Saturday: 12.37L/min
RMV yesterday: 11.14L/min

There was also way more surge yesterday which usually increases my SAC/RMV while trying to take photographs.

Hire a DM/Instr one on one, to fix you.

Hope they do a before and after video. You’ll then understand why your SAC rate improved.

Searching for larger tanks is only attacking a symptom.

But why would CO2 build up in a healthy fit diver diving on open circuit if it wasn’t happening on land considering there using higher ppO2. I’m really having trouble understanding this
There is a number of factors making CO2 a problem while diving.
The first one is that an unexperienced diver makes unneeded muscular efforts for keeping position and trim and for moving.
The dead space in the regulator has also been explained.
The third one is absolute pressure. The deeper you are, the higher will be the partial pressure of the CO2 in your lungs for the same quantity (in mass or moles), so the stimulus for short breathing increases with depth.
And finally there is a psychological factor. Many suggest to "relax". It is a wise suggestion, as when relaxed, your brain works slower, consuming less oxygen hence producing less CO2. Under stress, our brain can produce up to 1/5 of the total body CO2 production, albeit weighting 1/50 of the total body weight, So our brain has a CO2 production capability which is 10 times larger than other parts of the body.
And the interaction between brain state and CO2 production is bidirectional: as CO2 starts accumulating, we feel uncomfortable, and our stress increases, causing more CO2 to be produced.
In practice, the "natural" mechanisms of our body for counter-effect a CO2 increase are not very effective: they cause your breathing rate to increase, but each cycle becomes shallower, hence the amount of gas really swapped inside your lungs is very small. The muscular effort for breathing explodes, but the CO2 continues accumulating, as the vented volume is too small, and more than half of it is lost due to dead spaces.
This negative cycle can only be interrupted through voluntary control of the respiratory cycle, if you leave your body to "breath normally", without exerting a proper control, you easily end in dyspnea.
And it is not nice. The SAC is the last of your problem, as the sensation is to die for lack of air, suffocating: you blame you regulator not giving you enough air, and instead it is your lungs which are not working.
I have seen inexperienced divers going in dyspnea, and then giving up entirely to our sport, as it is a terrible experience.
I agree than an inexperienced diver should not worry too much of SAC. This will fix itself, as he learns to move properly, to breath properly, and to control his brain properly.
And these three types of "control" are interconnected strictly, as people practising Yoga know very well...
So it is true that breathing control, alone, cannot be the solution.
Total body and brain control is the solution.
And this involves controlling your body (buoyancy, trim, propulsion, avoiding any unneeded muscular action), controlling your breathing (long, slow inhalation and exhalation and a reasonable inspiration pause), and controlling your brain (remaining relaxed and lucid also when a problem occurs, avoiding euphoria or sadness).

"LOOK EVERYONE! IT'S A NEW DIVER! LET'S ALL EMBARASS THE NEW DIVER BY COMMENTING ON THEIR AIR CONSUMPTION!" - said no diver ever.

I know EVERYone says it, and it IS hard to believe, but you WILL improve on air consumption. I used to be a fellow air hog, and I'll offer the following advice based on my experience (your's may differ):

- dive more often. It maybe easier said than done, but the more you dive, the better your air consumption will be. I promise you this.

- if you are diving with a camera/GoPro, leave the camera/GoPro on the shore and focus on your beautiful surroundings under the water. Despite what you may think, human beings are not good multitasking operating systems, and introducing camera buttons and video screens creates just enough extra anxiety to increase your air consumption,

- go somewhere where there are divemasters who you can ask for tips. I did a liveaboard in Burma, and asked the DM to watch me over a couple days and offer advice. Helped my diving immensely.

- take the Peak Performance Buoyancy course. Then take it again elsewhere, tell the instructor you are taking it again voluntarily, and MASTER the course. If you can hover and control depth with ONLY your breath, you have got it.

- Stop. F***ing. Moving. If you are moving your legs/arms in an effort to stay motionless/maintain depth, you are 1) not motionless and 2) using your muscles unnecessarily (burning air). See the point above.

- if you can handle it, get a 100cf tank (or larger). You'd be amazed how less stressed you will be when you look at your gauges and find you still have 2/3 of your air after what 'seems' like a long time below. Stress (for me) was a major contributor to air consumption. I STILL dive with a 100 on my back whenever possible, even though the DMs look at my gauges post-dive and ask why I want the big tank.

- Exercise, particularly cardio and anaerobic exercise. The more you exercise, the better your breathing. However, intense strength training has the reverse effect and creates very air-hungry large muscle.

- Magnesium 'gummies'. OK, it's bizzare. They are supposed to help with relaxing and sleeping. Maybe it's the relaxing part, but I have logged a correlation between taking 2 gummies 30 minutes pre-dive and very low air consumption. Just make sure they are magnesium gummies and not 'special' gummies. No one like a high diver. Well, maybe on Utila... :wink:

This is very interesting, I'm always concerned that I breath too heavily, especially when we go to 30+metres. I generally can do an hour on 200 bar unless we go deeper. I am currently living in Indonesia and so have been very lucky to access some of the best dive sites in the world,including Raja Ampat, Derwean Island and Komodo. I am due to return to the UK in April and am thinking about treating myself to a trip to Myanmar before returning to the cold!

May I ask when did you dive in Myanmar, with which company and how you found the diving there? I read that Burma Banks is a great place for wonderful corals and sharks, although someone else said that they heard that the sharks are no longer in the area. Living in Indonesia has turned me into a dive princess!! I am used to some amazing sites; I'd love to get an opinion from someone who has dived there about the condition of the reefs and the kinds of marine life I may see. I am aware that the ocean is big and there are no guarantees, but the trips are expensive and I am trying to weigh up a return to Komodo or a trip to Sipidan (I was there 17 years ago) or Myanmar. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance

I used to be a fellow air hog... in short, what really worked for me is one of the most stupid tricks ever. Breath slowly. Count when you inhale. Count double the seconds when you exhale. Just like that. But it must be continuous and regular, done always in all the dives. Eventually it becomes natural and you won’t need to count any more. This brought from ‘air hog’ to ‘average consumption’ then there are many other things explained in this thread far better than I could. Curiously, I noticed that in some dives as a beginner I also consumed plenty of air in the very first part of dive, when descending and starting the dive.

I consume a lot when entering from shore into surge , especially when donning my fins (I do have the spring straps). At my age that can at times take some effort.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the input and suggestions !

The ONLY technique that will reduce your consumption is to be still, and efficient when you can’t be still.

Properly weighted, neutrally buoyant, horizontal trim, efficient swimming.

Breath when you need to breath.

This is the way.

Totally agree with this.
Just breath normally. As you gain experience and work on the above, it will get better and eventually the best it is for you. Right now you are probably pretty excited when you dive which in itself will lead to higher heart rate and the breathing to accompany that. For some people this will always be their state while diving. For some of us it's total relaxation. The latter will lead to less consumption.
Resist the temptation to unnaturally control your breath with lengthening the pauses between breath or the length of exhales. This is skip breathing.
Resist comparing your SAC/RMV with others. Everyone is just different. It will be what it will be in the end.

Work on the above, relax, enjoy and forget about your breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom