Certification card dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it does not have the word “advance ow” you will have trouble getting on a boat going to greater depths than 60’, especially in the keys

There's a fix for that. It's called "south of the border".

If it does not have the word “advance ow” you will have trouble getting on a boat going to greater depths than 60’, especially in the keys

Not the case in Jupiter, FLA, while on a visit late last year. There were admitted novices, clumsily assembling their gear doing 20+ meter nitrox dives in the Gulf Stream . . .

I use an app on my (Android) phone called Key Ring. Not only can I put all the merchant cards on it that my wife wants me to carry, thus eliminating the bulky mess, I have also put all my relevant cert cards on it, just in case. I've not had to use them for a dive yet, but they're there should I need them. Next time I do a charter, I think I'll ask them if they would accept them should I lose my originals.

The only time it mattered to me was when a San Diego dive op looked at my phone card, but then collected all the physical cards to complete a large roster before we left the dock. We were all given our card back before boarding.
I'm sure I could have just used the phone copy, but the desk crew was looking pretty harried as everyone arrived for an early a.m. departure. I bet I would have gotten a dirty look or two if they had to make my roster entry on the spot while I stood there with 15 folks behind me waiting.
Only time it's ever happened in 30 years, but...

would they have accepted my laminated copy? Or would I have had to go back to show my e-card from the website a second time?

yeah.....and then your phone is out of a charge. Imagine, telling the crew to wait for you while you charge your phone.

:shakehead:
yeah.....and then your phone is out of a charge. Imagine, telling the crew to wait for you while you charge your phone.

<sarcasm>People who let their phone run down like that? Can we trust them as divers? I’m not so sure. They probably forget to check their SPGs, too. </sarcasm> :shakehead::facepalm:

Least they're not wanting to bilk y'all for around 250$ total to get your name changed and two replacement cards, one for AOW and one for my public safety diver card. My name has been entered two different times in PADIs system, and i think they're going to double charge(scam me) to get it

I appreciate the comment. I booked an advanced charter two weeks ago and dove to 105' on the first tank and 95' on the second (drift dive).

Any ideas on getting a card from another agency without duplicative course work and associated $$$?

Hi Eyegore,

Did you try runsongas' recommendation below? You will spend about 40 dollars getting a replacement card from most any agency. This seems like the best solution to me. Is it for you?

If you still have your physical card from the Y, contact SEI for an updated replacement. Then you will be in their records.

http://www.seidiving.org/uploads/1/...m-former_yscuba_certifications--sept-2014.pdf
Scuba Educators International

cheers,
m

Back
Top Bottom