Fine tunning backplate position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've read and was told to tell whether my backplate hight is the correct one I have to be able to touch the upper extreme with my fingers' tips, so that I did.

I know that's to allow you reach your cylinders valves... but i've also read about some exercises to strech shoulders' joins to reach the valves.... and that makes me thinks I'm missing something here: as a novice I have to strecht myself to reach my valves, so in the process, if I can touch my backplate, that means it won't be at the correct place until I get stretched enought.

That came out because I've shown to an instructor a video of myself performing some drills and he told me "your backplate position is too hight preventing you from set your head up because you hut the manifold tap".... That was two months ago and I still had no chance to meet him and talk about that.

My question is how can I tell when my BP is set correctly even if I'm not yet flexible enought to reach the valves?

I do use doubles back mount (2×12L) on Halcyon BP.

Can you post your video? Other things to consider:
1 - flexibility can help but practice and technique are more important. Once you're able to hit the valves through muscle memory it'll become much easier
2 - make sure you're close to horizontal. Trying to do valve drills upright is a nightmare.
3 - it's not just the position of the backplate, but also the position of the bands on the cylinder which will dictate the height of the valves
4 - don't know if you're wearing a drysuit, but if so try adding a little more air to allow more upper arm flexibility
5 - practise in a pool without too much thermal protection. Once your hands can automatically locate the valves without restriction it'll become easier.
6 - if still having problems, use your head to push your hands into position. This works for all three valves. Right post, hand facing backwards behind ear, push head back and to the right. Manifold, open hand behind head, push back. Left post, mirror image of right post.

Forgot to mention:
7 - when reaching for valves, arch your back, effectively flattening your back, which will bring the valves closer. When first learning, people have a tendancy to hunch, thus increasing the distance.
8 - make sure the shoulder straps are quite loose, not tight.

Very usefull information @Graeme Fraser. Today I can already reach valves, although I still need improve. I'll put in practice your advises. The video as such is not very worthy, it was a try and nothing valuable is shared on it, but, just in case, see it following:

@MaxBottomtime , I've already seen the page you've shared, and it's one of which is suggestin to touch the BP with your fingertips. By the way, I was also told it's too old already...... ?

BTW.... yes, wing is too big in this video.

Here it is my cylinders. I guess bands are ok.

Attachments

• 20190922_222419.jpg
    20190922_222419.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 80
Very usefull information @Graeme Fraser. Today I can already reach valves, although I still need improve. I'll put in practice your advises. The video as such is not very worthy, it was a try and nothing valuable is shared on it, but, just in case, see it following:

@MaxBottomtime , I've already seen the page you've shared, and it's one of which is suggestin to touch the BP with your fingertips. By the way, I was also told it's too old already...... ?
The diver in the photos is Clinton Bauder. He is a very active diver. The only thing old in the photos is the drysuit. The procedures are still accurate.

The diver in the photos is Clinton Bauder. He is a very active diver. The only thing old in the photos is the drysuit. The procedures are still accurate.
Great to know that. I've found nothing different to that, so it's what I'm following so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom