Is High Springs a good place for non cave or tech divers too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt CHEG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will likely find myself very near High Falls in March this year for a little over a week for work. Since it’ll be winter back home and I’ll likely be jonesing to get back in the water, I was thinking it might be a good time to do some diving. I hear so much wonderful talk about High Falls, specifically for tech and cave divers but is it a great place to go for rec divers too? Any suggestions for any particular spots? Thanks

There is a High Falls road in Lake City FL and a High Falls in upstate NY, but do you mean High Springs?

There is a nice antiques store there if you’re into that sort of thing.

Yes, you may dive recreationally at Ginnie.

There is a High Falls road in Lake City FL and a High Falls in upstate NY, but do you mean High Springs?

There is a nice antiques store there if you’re into that sort of thing.

Yes, you may dive recreationally at Ginnie.

Whoops, you are 100% correct lol! I did mean High Springs, FL. Is there any way to edit my title?

I will likely be at Camp Blanding, which I believe is less than an hour away from High Springs. Any other good dive suggestions for that area? Thanks !

Edited. I’m not much of a fresh water diver guy, but there are plenty here who are, including the guy who owns the board. Pete @The Chairman? Any advice for one of our service members?

There are lots of Springs in and about "Cave Country" as we affectionately call the High Springs area. Many are within a hour or two's drive from Camp Blanding (Jax area). You can also dive some cool wrecks off of Jacksonville, though the waters will be a bit nippy that time of year. Hit me up when you're in town and I'll show you the wreck of the Madison in Troy Springs. Won't need any tech gear, but it will be fun.

Edited. I’m not much of a fresh water diver guy, but there are plenty here who are, including the guy who owns the board. Pete @The Chairman? Any advice for one of our service members?

Thank you for both the edit and the information! Just to be clear though, I’m not military, don’t want to claim to be something that I’m not. I’m a federal agent and a bomb technician and would be at Camp Blanding for the Raven’s Challenge training exercise. Thanks again!

Thank you for both the edit and the information! Just to be clear though, I’m not military, don’t want to claim to be something that I’m not. I’m a federal agent and a bomb technician and would be at Camp Blanding for the Raven’s Challenge training exercise. Thanks again!
Ah. The Lt in your handle led me down a different path. Thanks for your service anyway.

There are lots of Springs in and about "Cave Country" as we affectionately call the High Springs area. Many are within a hour or two's drive from Camp Blanding (Jax area). You can also dive some cool wrecks off of Jacksonville, though the waters will be a bit nippy that time of year. Hit me up when you're in town and I'll show you the wreck of the Madison in Troy Springs. Won't need any tech gear, but it will be fun.

Wreck diving is what interests me the most so I will definitely take you up on that gracious offer if I’m in town! I’m used to pretty chilly water, but do you think a 7mm farmer John setup with hood and gloves would be sufficient? Thanks very much!

Ah. The Lt in your handle led me down a different path. Thanks for your service anyway.
It’s actually a carryover from when I first started getting involved with Internet forums. At the time I signed up for my first forum I was a Lieutenant with my local volunteer fire department, and I had just finished my BS in chemical engineering (abbreviated CHEG at my alma mater) so that’s what I came up with for a handle and the name has just kind of stuck for almost 20 years lol. And thank you by the way, although I can’t imagine doing anything else anymore. I think I’ve got the best job in the world - getting paid to blow stuff up! Thanks again.

If you aren't normally around caves, it could be an opportunity to take a cavern course to get a very controlled taste of cave diving. It can be done over a weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom