Bringing my own live aboard inflatable life vest ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, I am not in the camp that brings my own PFD onto a liveaboard or day boat. My guess (and hope!) is that no one had an issue. However, based on the OP's experience on where they have seen PFDs store and located, that is what warranted the idea to them to begin with. If that helps the OP sleep better at night, I say go for it. However, I suppose you could say I wouldn't know until it became a problem and this is a problem that I would want to prevent or never find out. That is easily mitigated by bringing your own PFD. It is a personal risk assessment. For what it's worth, if someone chooses to bring their own PFD on the boat, it's fine by me. I don't pass any judgement on them, or anyone that travels with a CO detector, PLB, etc.

Someone won't need it until they need it. The next question is, where do we draw the line when it comes to "just in case" items? :)

'drawing the line' is one reason I started the thread, a personal judgment call/risk assessment. I've seen too many stories/threads about simple safety gear omissions that seemed harmless initially, then all the critics pile on saying...if only he'd had a signal light....if only she'd had a SMB...or a back-up SPG...or a PLB...or signal mirror...etc.

PD canopies and reserves, Rigging Innovation Curv for the container.

That being said, people fly commercial with their rig as a carry-on because checking it is an iffy proposition, and they’re not an insignificant amount of weight.

No one is jumping from a commercial aircraft. It’s a crap analogy.

Even though I wouldn't personally take my own lifejacket I respect the fact that you may wish to. If the potential risk is enough to cause anxiety and therefore detract from your enjoyment, that's a good enough reason.

However, if I was unduly concerned, I'd consider combining the need with added redundancy by taking a backup BCD. Hopefully wouldn't need it but it'd be there if my primary sprung a leak or as an improvised LJ. Either that or dismantle your rig after use so you could grab and jump.

Just a thought.

SB exhibits such a tolerant group is heartwarming.

So the OP looked at his gear for LOBs and said to himself: I think a pfd would be a good addition.
Then he decided to post in SB, for whatever reason, and SB didn't disappoint.
However he made us think, (well he made some readers think)

Do I want to carry one around? I'd probably put a small bottle of Gin and a jar of olives above in the list, but I do me ....and whatever the OP does should only serve as something to think for a moment and then move on. Unless his pfd has a very strong smell or is dripping a sticky substance, why would it affect me?

Something else that this thread has brought to mind is that it in the reviews we post for LOBs and other dive boat operations in parts of the world that may not have stringent safety standards we should include a mention of safety-related issues, such as whether there was an adequate briefing on abandon-ship procedures, and where lifejackets are stowed, not to mention the obvious such as whether they have emergency oxygen, how far from the nearest recompression chamber will you be, etc. If it's a wooden boat, you might want to consider that as well in weighing the risks. Safety is too easy to skip or gloss over because writing reviews is a lot of work, yet it should be one of the most important points to hit.

. . .
However, if I was unduly concerned, I'd consider combining the need with added redundancy by taking a backup BCD. Hopefully wouldn't need it but it'd be there if my primary sprung a leak or as an improvised LJ. . . .

Come to think of it, my wife and I take one spare wing between the two of us. It's one of those DSS wings that lays totally flat, doesn't weigh much, etc. Of course, since we only take one . . . .

I don't pass any judgement on them, or anyone that travels with a CO detector, PLB, etc.

The "obvious" difference between a PFD and these other items, is that typically the boat won't provide a PLB, although I would hope their compressor would monitor for CO.

Like you, I can understand someone taking their own, but I'm so jammed for space when I travel, that's one item I could skip

I was thinking back a few hundred years.... I used to do a liveaboard in BC most years, and I'd take a Floater Coat with me, but that was as much for warmth and rain. The floaty part was just a bonus.

The "obvious" difference between a PFD and these other items, is that typically the boat won't provide a PLB, although I would hope their compressor would monitor for CO.

Like you, I can understand someone taking their own, but I'm so jammed for space when I travel, that's one item I could skip

I was thinking back a few hundred years.... I used to do a liveaboard in BC most years, and I'd take a Floater Coat with me, but that was as much for warmth and rain. The floaty part was just a bonus.

I think that's a fair point. Some boats provide Nautilus Lifelines though it is not a replacement or as good as a PLB. The OP was concerned about location of PFDs. At the end of the day, it is still a personal risk/benefit assessment. I have no concerns about location because in all the ones I've been on, there have always been some in the room or directly outside the rooms and sometimes also a second set higher up on the boat by the life rafts but perhaps I might feel differently if I ever came across a different situation.

To @Lorenzoid 's point about safety, I think it is very valid. I've been on many boats and while all of them had the acceptable levels of safety equipment that I look for, I think there was some complacency that has stricken the crew on an actual emergency happening. How much detail they go in explaining and showing the who/what/when/where in case of emergency is another and it has really varied. I am never shy about asking if it's not mentioned or shown.

Even though I wouldn't personally take my own lifejacket I respect the fact that you may wish to. If the potential risk is enough to cause anxiety and therefore detract from your enjoyment, that's a good enough reason.

However, if I was unduly concerned, I'd consider combining the need with added redundancy by taking a backup BCD. Hopefully wouldn't need it but it'd be there if my primary sprung a leak or as an improvised LJ. Either that or dismantle your rig after use so you could grab and jump.

Just a thought.

I suppose the same can be said for people who bring backup regs, backup BCs...backups for the backups and what-have-yous. If it lets them enjoy and not worry as much and does not even affect me, I'm not worried about it. :)

As far as I know, I had the only CO monitoring system on any liveaboard in the world, and I haven't seen any others since. My partners didn't have CO monitoring. I don't know of many dive shops that have a real time CO monitor on their compressors. It is extremely rare to find such a device, as the expense is somewhat arduous and the device isn't required by any agency in the world.

If you rely on your liveaboard to monitor your CO, more than that, if you are relying on their CO monitor to work properly, you would (for the most part) be sadly mistaken.

As far as I know, I had the only CO monitoring system on any liveaboard in the world, and I haven't seen any others since. My partners didn't have CO monitoring. I don't know of many dive shops that have a real time CO monitor on their compressors. It is extremely rare to find such a device, as the expense is somewhat arduous and the device isn't required by any agency in the world.

If you rely on your liveaboard to monitor your CO, more than that, if you are relying on their CO monitor to work properly, you would (for the most part) be sadly mistaken.
@Stoo

CO for compressors and air aside, I bring a CO detector for my liveaboard and hotel rooms overseas as I frequent SE Asia. Those are sometimes not present, and even if it were, I don't know that I trust it enough to function properly and have a detectable level that is acceptable, or even functioning at all or with batteries in them.

Back
Top Bottom