Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why vary the location depending on whether or not you have an AI transmitter hooked up?

Because with AI dive computer you won't be using the spg all that often if at all, once you splash. So it can be smaller and less bulky and thus placed inline with the existing LP hose which means a shorter hose, makes the predive tank pressure check easier, and removes a step when assembling and breaking down the rig. As I said in the first post.

Because with AI dive computer you won't be using the spg all that often if at all, once you splash. So it can be smaller and less bulky and thus placed inline with the existing LP hose which means a shorter hose, makes the predive tank pressure check easier, and removes a step when assembling and breaking down the rig.

My point was that the reasons for clipping the SPG to the left hip D-ring pre-date the introduction of AI, and the presence of an AI transmitter does nothing to change them.

I've had an SPG fail me in the past so when I do move to wireless AI, I'll be keeping my SPG clipped off on my left hip D-ring.
Ever since the failure, I travel with a spare SPG in my Save-a-dive Kit.

My point was that the reasons for clipping the SPG to the left hip D-ring pre-date the introduction of AI, and the presence of an AI transmitter does nothing to change them.

I look at it differently. With the introduction of AI, the standard SPG is no longer as necessary (as stated here and elsewhere many divers no longer use an SPG with AI) so changes can be made to minimize it's footprint.

During my recent trip to South Florida another diver's rig got my interest. This guy had his backup SPG configured in a way that I hadn't seen before.

If you carry a full size or slightly smaller SPG and clip it off somewhere on your BCD as a backup to your air integrated wireless dive computer, and/or to check your tank pressure pre-dive, then you may find this tip to be useful.

Replace your SPG with a mini SPG as per the photos below. They range in size from 3/4 to 1", slightly larger than a nickel. Route the SPG hose alongside your BCD inflator hose using zip ties to keep them together, so they act like one large hose. This keeps them together for a more streamlined rig. It also avoids having to clip off the SPG to your BCD, saving a pre- and post- dive step, and makes it really easy to check your tank pressure on the boat without reaching behind the BCD and twisting it so you can read it, because it's right there in front of you.

The cost of the gauge was $18, the right angle HP adapter was about $15 (with shipping) and you may need a shorter HP hose. I am swapping the existing 31" hose with a 22". Going to sell my SPG on EBAY or here on SB like I do with other unneeded gear and probably come out ahead on the deal.

The third picture is from above as how the gauge would be checked during a dive.

View attachment 522102 View attachment 522103 View attachment 522104
Here's an old thread about this. Only difference is now the SPG is smaller, thus harder to read, and at a right angle. Perfectly Ok with wireless AI, since the chances you'll need to look at it are nil. In which case it doesn't need to encumber your LPI, and could easily be on your hip, where if you don't need it anyway it is not in the way, and if youj do need it, it is easily accessible. But still not very readable. My vote is for a readable SPG on a thin hose on your left hip, if you want to carry a backup SPG. The proposed system is also similar to the way the Evolution rebreathers from long ago mount their gauges.

Here's an old thread about this.

Link?

Also the advantage of moving from hip to LPI include one glance hands off predive PSI check, no need to clip on and off and keeps 2 hoses together and probably eliminating at least 9" of hose.

The big difference there is that the thread starter was not using AI so most of the replies were against mounting the SPG to the LPI.

Anyway why do I find myself defending this idea? (I'm sort of think/posting out loud here). If anyone reading this thread finds this tip useful then it was worth the time I took to explain it. We've all got our favorite way of doing things and apparently some people don't see all that well at about 18" which makes me wonder how much small stuff they aren't seeing on the reef.

apparently some people don't see all that well at about 18" which makes me wonder how much small stuff they aren't seeing on the reef.
There is no reason to denigrate those who have a different opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom