Question First -Time Wrist Computer User...SPG Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And no backup?
You want a backup dive computer for tracking your NDL or a backup pressure gauge?
Either one fails, you do the same thing. End the dive. As you get into diving more, you'll want a backup dive computer with matching algorithms. Go with what you have on your Shearwater Buhlmann ZHL-16c. Avoid anything else. You really don't want to much around trying to figure out how to adjust proprietary algorithms. Buhlmann ZHL-16c is extensively covered, and you'll figure out how to set the GFs appropriate to you. Mind you, when you dive, you and your dive buddies should agree on GF values.

Yeah, probably right. For the recreational diving I do, not much need for ultra redundancy. If I didn't sell it I could always bring it along on a liveaboard in case either the SW or the SPG went belly up.
If you are spending the money for a liveaboard (or a far off dive location) you can afford a good second dive computer.

Keep the hose computer around as a backup, no sense taking it in the water every dive though.
No point in that as if the SW dies (haven't heard of any issues for the Peregrine, but anything can happen in theory), you just can't switch computers that haven't been in the water and tracking your nitrogen loading.

Yeah, probably right. For the recreational diving I do, not much need for ultra redundancy. If I didn't sell it I could always bring it along on a liveaboard in case either the SW or the SPG went belly up.

If you are going to have it "around" for backup, it should be on you u/w when you are diving not on the boat. If your main DC goes down, you can just continue with the backup without having to sit out for 24 hours on the surface waiting for total offgassing to be able to dive with the fresh backup DC.

the standard configuration is to clip off to a d-ring on the left side of your waist strap. 22-ish inches is what you need give or take based on your height possibly.
yeah but the hose on the Aeris is so long that when I clip it off on the left hip D-ring it still extends out pretty far. Might be because of the QD attachment.

yeah but the hose on the Aeris is so long that when I clip it off on the left hip D-ring it still extends out pretty far. Might be because of the QD attachment.
I meant for the SPG.

If you keep the Aeris, clip it off on a chest D-ring. That's what I used to do with my old Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1

A good option if you are young and have good eyes (soon to become even better) for a dive computer is the Deep 6 Excursion: Deep 6 Excursion Dive Computer. Buhlmann ZHL-16c algorithm with currently three fixed GF settings, but with the two upgrade options coming out soon, you'll have user programmable GFs and multiple gasses. The firmware has gone through an entire rewrite, only a couple things need to be finished as well as testing.

Attach to a D'ring on the left shoulder on a bungee. It will be much easier and faster to read the pressure when you are diving.

I'd keep the Aeris if it is still working fine. You can buy a bungee console holder that attaches to d-ring on your BC.
Are you referring to a retractable console holder? I know they can be dangerous and are not looked upon favorable here.

I currently use something like this (no flaming :)):

Are you referring to a retractable console holder? I know they can be dangerous and are not looked upon favorable here.

You really want something streamlined, as close to your body as possible, or when you are looking at something close to the ground (or underneath something, you risk sticking your console into the bottom. Unclipping/clipping to check cylinder pressure should become second nature where you do it by feel except for the part where you look at the gauge. If you switch to an SPG clipped off on your waist, that's what you are going to be doing. If you want to see the pressure the fastest, go with a Perdix AI and transmitter (recommended for photographers with big cameras)

I don't like this XS Scuba, I prefer this type from Trident. It has quick disconnect and the bungee can be adjusted in length to suit your preferences.

You can see your pressure with a quick glance without even having to hold it in front you. The adjustable bungee will enable you to reach a balance of making sure it doesn't hang too low to touch anything and being able to read the gauges easily. You should NOT be too low or close to the reef for the gauge to touch anything.

1651796846027.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom