Group Trip - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ropa vieja is Cuban, or maybe Cuban American, in origin. There is a place in Cozumel that does it pretty well.

We, as English speaking Americans, don't have a lot of room to talk. We eat hot dogs, but they aren't made of dogs, nor are they from Frankfurt. Neither are hamburgers from Hamburg, or french fries French. German Chocolate Cake is named for the the chocolate maker Samuel German, not the country it is not from (it's American as Dutch Apple Pie - which may or may not be Dutch). Sweetbreads are neither sweet nor bread.

Food names don't have to make sense.

I'll give you the hot dog one, but the rest are not like "meat old clothes". I don't know how that sounds appetizing in any language. Same thing with sandals. Why not name it dirty socks?

I'll give you the hot dog one, but the rest are not like "meat old clothes". I don't know how that sounds appetizing in any language. Same thing with sandals. Why not name it dirty socks?
Granted British dishes not American, but for English weird food names you can't really beat spotted dick.

It's a comfort dish. What's more comforting that than old sweatshirt or pair of jeans that have almost enough holes that you need to toss them out?

Can I interest you in some ants on a log, hush puppies, and puppy chow while we watch the game? Maybe for dessert we'll have some lady fingers and whoopie pies.

What was this thread originally about, anyway? Anyone remember?

It's a comfort dish. What's more comforting that than old sweatshirt or pair of jeans that have almost enough holes that you need to toss them out?

Did you eat them before you flushed them? Personally, passing those items wouldn't be comfortable. I've never understood hush puppies.

...I've never understood hush puppies.
Folklore has it that fry cooks in restaurants would collect the little globs of breading that got separated from whatever they were cooking and feed them to their dogs, and the dogs learned to beg the cooks for them. "Hush, puppy" is what one might say when appeasing a canine with such a treat.

Folklore has it that fry cooks in restaurants would collect the little globs of breading that got separated from whatever they were cooking and feed them to their dogs, and the dogs learned to beg the cooks for them. "Hush, puppy" is what one might say when appeasing a canine with such a treat.
There are lots of apocryphal legends on their origins. The Real History of Hushpuppies To add to this conversation: "At least two decades before 'hushpuppy' appeared in print, South Carolinians were enjoying what they called 'red horse bread.' It wasn't red in color, and it had nothing to do with horses."

Got to see a nurse shark going to town at something buried at the base of a sponge last week. It was impressive, the debris exploded in a cloud, not much after the event.

Speaking of nurse sharks:

I tried! You would have been the PERFECT fit for this trip. It was a great group!
I know. I'm just whining about my inability to go. But you did make me spend an hour last night trying to figure out when I could go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom