Cost of GUE fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at GUE standards it says "within 5' (1.5m) of target depth for Rec Pass and (3' 1m) for a Tec pass". By within it could be intrepeted at +/- so in theory you have a window of 10 ' or 6 feet depending (although my impression is that instructors use the standards as a maximum window)
It's a window that must include the specified depth. So if you are supposed to make a 10 ft stop but you wander from 7 ft to 13ft while making it you are out of the rec window. The tech window gets tested with things like valve drills and fun drills like doing air sharing ascents with a deployed SMB while at least vaguely maintaining the 3m/minute ascent rate.

Is US$650 for Fundies really excessive?

I don't think so. Even if they were to do the minimum of 30 hours required of actual instruction, that's still only $21.66 per hour for the instructor. I think my course went for 40 hours, maybe more, that $16.25 per hr at most.

Looking at GUE standards it says "within 5' (1.5m) of target depth for Rec Pass and (3' 1m) for a Tec pass". By within it could be interpreted at +/- so in theory you have a window of 10 ' or 6 feet depending (although my impression is that instructors use the standards as a maximum window)

If target depth is 20 ft, tech pass level will allow you to vary from 19 -> 20 -> 21. Rec pass level will allow you to deviate a bit farther from 18 -> 19 -> 20 -> 21 -> 22. I dropped to 22 ft shooting an SMB, and the Go Pro immediately went for my depth gauge. I was told to improve buoyancy before trying for a tech pass. ;-)

Looking at GUE standards it says "within 5' (1.5m) of target depth for Rec Pass and (3' 1m) for a Tec pass". By within it could be intrepeted at +/- so in theory you have a window of 10 ' or 6 feet depending (although my impression is that instructors use the standards as a maximum window)
5' window is 2.5' up or down, same principle for 3' window. So to get a Tech pass, if your target is 20' you need to stay between a depth range of 18.5' - 21.5'. Same with doing drills, you must maintain that window while you maintain no more than 20* trim while performing all skills/drills/tasks.

That's not how GUE interprets their standards. Rec Pass is +/- 2.5' and Tech Pass is +/- 1.5'

I understand and I've been around some agencies, but what is in the curriculum and what is done in practise is a big difference. Bsac I don't know personally but I do know other club style federations (CMAS) and typically they can't, I'm involved in giving free of charge buoyancy and trim workshops and the first I ask is to hover in a 15 m swimming pool at 3m for a couple of minutes without moving. I encounter about 50 divers a year who participate in such workshops from OW students to course directors and very very few can do it. (I'm not even asking in horizontal trim because that also depends on equipment).

No it doesn't.

There are divers who can get into perfect horizontal trim with a bcd. And there are divers who cannot with a wing and a backplate.

People need to stop pretending equipment is a big deal for trim and buoyancy. It's not. I was recently playing around with my bcd and was able to hold exactly the same position as I do with my twinset and one piece harness.

No it doesn't.

There are divers who can get into perfect horizontal trim with a bcd. And there are divers who cannot with a wing and a backplate.

People need to stop pretending equipment is a big deal for trim and buoyancy. It's not. I was recently playing around with my bcd and was able to hold exactly the same position as I do with my twinset and one piece harness.

Equipment ABSOLUTELY matters. You are both sort of right, in that equipment is not the end all be all and proper technique is also needed, but perfect technique may not be able to overcome all equipment issues. I also don't think Beester was going the BP/W vs jacket BC route, but more "equipment" in general--that includes proper weight distribution as well as individual equipment choices.

I am extremely head heavy. If I take off a set of Hollis F1s and put on a set of Deep 6 eddy's or OMS slipstreams, I am going to start face planting unless I radically adjust my trim to an unacceptable level of vertical.

I use slipstreams and I always considered them a heavy fin. What would you suggest as currently I have to run a tail weight with doubles.

I use slipstreams and I always considered them a heavy fin. What would you suggest as currently I have to run a tail weight with doubles.

What size tanks are you diving? How tall are you? How large is the tail weight?

There is nothing wrong with a tail weight for doubles. I have a 5lb tail weight when I dive Worthington HP100s, but nothing when I dive taller tanks like LP108s.

The heaviest fins are the Hollis F1s and the Jetfins, but I am fairly certain the Hollis are slightly heavier. The Slipstreams are one rung below them in the slightly heavy, but closer to neutral camp.

If your trim is fine and you can stay motionless while not kicking then I don't see any issue with diving with the trim weight. There is no cookie cutter model for scuba equipment. What works for one person may not work for others in terms of trim, balance, stability, and control. Find what works for you.

I dive twin AL80s in the Middle East and Steel 12s in UK and have the same faith both. I use a Halcyon soft pouch with 4lbs in the bottom in warm water and a 2kg tail weight in cold.

Was just wondering as the OMS I have look exactly the same as my wife's jet fins. Almost like they came from the same factory...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom