Cost of GUE fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travel and lodging for the instructor might raise the price some, but 1800 is bananas.

I love gue's training and I think it's literally the best out there, but the prices are really getting out of hand.

I certainly hope 1800 for fundamentals is a mistake.

I think that translates to ~$1,400 US dollars. Seems kinda high it was a US price, especially if the instructor is local. It can be hard to judge whats a fair price in other parts of the world though.

As many have pointed out, $650 North American bucks + the ~$95USD course registration fee (yup, head north if you need to travel for a class, may be cheaper with the exchange).

Aside from feeding, housing and transporting yourself, also figure in 5-6 gas fills (32% nitrox).

_R

In my neck of the woods most will charge 600€ (maybe some 700) which is 900 AUD + the cost of the course fee (95USD). Gas should be negligable. Of course Australia being a big country, if the instructor needs logging and flights you need to accomodate for this but split between 2 or 3 still that would not be so much as your stated price.

Maybe the course is free but the snorkel, split Fin's and spare air are $1800?

I mean if you feel you need gue training you should go make your open water instructor pay for it because they obviously failed you.

I mean if you feel you need gue training you should go make your open water instructor pay for it because they obviously failed you.

Why is that? I've been around some fundies classes and half my facebook friends list are people that have taken fundies (yes I'm crazy), and all have gotten something out of it, this included people who were already trimix instructor.

Did you take fundies by the way?

Last edited:
Why is that? I've been around some fundies classes and have my facebook friends list are people that have taken fundies (yes I'm crazy), and all have gotten something out of it, this included people who were already trimix instructor.

Did you take fundies by the way?

I don't mean like for a tech pass to go onto tech and cave levels, but the stuff you do for a rec pass and the stuff covered in rec1 is stuff you should already have down. I mean if you do four days of diving all day doing skill drills you're gonna get something out of it but you don't need to pay the biggest circlejerk in diving 600+ bucks to do that.

I don't mean like for a tech pass to go onto tech and cave levels, but the stuff you do for a rec pass and the stuff covered in rec1 is stuff you should already have down. I mean if you do four days of diving all day doing skill drills you're gonna get something out of it but you don't need to pay the biggest circlejerk in diving 600+ bucks to do that.
So no, you haven't taken the course.

Not stating that the expense posted is not excessive... but you clearly have no idea on what the content of a fundies class is.

Do a little test. . Go in a pond or pool or whatever... take a buddy with you with a go pro. Ask him to film you. Now the only thing you need to do is descend to 3m(10ft) reference a point and hover at that depth, without moving backward or forward, without moving your hands or fins, while staying in more or less (we are talking rec pass her) trim. Do that for a 3 minutes and see where you end up. I'm not asking any further taskloading... just this. Post it on youtube and send me the link... then we'll talk.

I'm sure an OW with good training could get to that level after 10-15 dives and a lot of tutoring. But I know instructor trainers who couldn't do it. My wife took fundies last year... she's been diving for years, has about 400 dives in, she had the benefit of a husband who took some GUE courses over the years (C2/T2) and a network of friends who are GUE trained guess what she got on first try? A provisional.

Back
Top Bottom