Cost of GUE fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of what you're paying for is that the instructor has experience teaching the proven Fundies curriculum. There are non-GUE instructors--probably some on SB--who are capable of teaching the exact same topics covered in Fundies, but most of them probably don't have their curriculum all laid out in a way that has been proven over the years to work, and most of them probably don't have the opportunity to teach these sorts of "scuba makeovers" regularly enough to get really great at it. I'm certain there are a few non-GUE instructors, even non-instructor mentors, who can do just as good a job, but they are surely few. Maybe a non-GUE instructor would charge, I dunno, US$350 or so for a 4-day course. Is US$650 for Fundies really excessive?

I know a IANTD full cave and trimix instructor who is also GUE trained (C2/T2) and very experienced. He teaches an IANTD essentials which is basically a fundies copy and won't allow any students in his advanced courses without first taking the essentials.

He charges about 450€ for his essentials class and I would say it's more or less on par.

Maybe you should just ask the shop what that fee would include. In a friendly tone just straight-up tell them that it seems kinda high for just the class.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd contact the instructor directly about pricing, what's included, and other details. Like AJ said, $1800 ($1400 US) is crazy for Fundies.

Queensland tends to be pretty expensive for all things diving, from what I've seen. In California, I paid $800 for my 5-day Fundies class (well worth the money, IMHO) and my GUE instructor charges $250/day as a base rate for his time outside of classes (can be split amongst multiple students). This is shore diving with no equipment, gas, or facility use included.

I've seen higher prices in Mexico, where Zero Gravity charges $950 for a 4-day class ($2650 for C1 :eek:).

How much, by comparison, is an open water class? From what I've heard, prices in QLD tend to be around $800. I know some of the charter boats charge $250(+) for a 2 tank dive and even tack on a $50 Nitrox surcharge on top of that. Granted, it's a lot of gas to get out to the Great Barrier Reef, and these are Australia dollars, but it's still pretty high priced all around.

Does the Fundies fee include tanks, boats, gas, etc?

Last edited:
AUD1195 at scubaworld on the sunshine coast mate

Now the only thing you need to do is descend to 3m(10ft) reference a point and hover at that depth, without moving backward or forward, without moving your hands or fins, while staying in more or less (we are talking rec pass her) trim. Do that for a 3 minutes and see where you end up.

Looking at GUE standards it says "within 5' (1.5m) of target depth for Rec Pass and (3' 1m) for a Tec pass". By within it could be intrepeted at +/- so in theory you have a window of 10 ' or 6 feet depending (although my impression is that instructors use the standards as a maximum window)

By contrast BSAC black standard is 23" (Plus or minus 0.3m 11" from target depth - like GUE task loaded) GUE aren't the only agency that require good buoyancy.

But you are absolutely correct that taking the course should be worthwhile to most people, I've heard lots of stories of experienced divers/instructors getting a provisional on first attempt. On paper the standards aren't that onerious. The reality can be very different.

I'm excluded from taking the course because I smoke, however if I were able I would becuase my personal opinion is that you can always benefit from training and its great to learn different perspectives. And apply them as necessary.

People often ratonalise courses in monetary terms too. Some might say XX course is not worth it, because they can't justify that expenditure form their disposable income.

To me, the price of the course quoted by the OP isn't excessive, I've spent a lot more than that on further training this year. However in a previous year I would have viewed the courses I've taken as not that important becuase I might have not had the time nor finances.

Others here however might view my courses as a waste of time and money to them..

By contrast BSAC black standard is 23" (Plus or minus 0.3m 11" from target depth - like GUE task loaded) GUE aren't the only agency that require good buoyancy.

I understand and I've been around some agencies, but what is in the curriculum and what is done in practise is a big difference. Bsac I don't know personally but I do know other club style federations (CMAS) and typically they can't, I'm involved in giving free of charge buoyancy and trim workshops and the first I ask is to hover in a 15 m swimming pool at 3m for a couple of minutes without moving. I encounter about 50 divers a year who participate in such workshops from OW students to course directors and very very few can do it. (I'm not even asking in horizontal trim because that also depends on equipment).

I understand and I've been around some agencies, but what is in the curriculum and what is done in practise is a big difference.

Once again I couldn't agree more, Also some divers have been taught, but not bothered to practice or develop the skills further, they see no need. And realistically a normal diver doesn't need that level of precision on a Safety stop. But its' a good skill to have.

I was recently humbled. although I can hold a stop to the Black standard, on my DM course I was expected to carry out all the skills neutral in 2.4m of water. I was immensly frustrated at myself not being able to be as perfectly still as my instructor, Especally with skills like OOA and reg removal where you have a good volume of air in your lungs to get you through the demonstration. I can do it now for sure because my CD refuused to allow me scores less than 4 (given I wanted to progress to IE)

I try to encourge divers to think and assess what they're doing often this leads to being asked to show or tell where they can get further training, but you will always get those who don't see the need.

As long as they're safe, not damaging the reefs or themselves I can't get too bent out of shape.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom