Need some advice for a quick dive while in Ambergris during 2 hectic days!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm visiting Belize in April between 8-14...part of a family group. I alone can scuba though!
we are in mainland first 4 days.

On the Apr-12th evening we're reaching Ambergris Caye, staying in Holiday hotel(has a nice beach, I think there's a dive shop nearby).

On 13th we're taking a snorkel trip to Holchan reef and a shark alley/petting nearby.

On 14th flying/returning back to USA.

I'm a PADI certified male diver with 28 ocean dives in my experience(in bonaire and Hawaii). I wanna do a simple 2-tank dive in Belize.

Any chance I can squeeze the dive in while I'm in Ambergris? If I do, it'll be after 2 or 4 pm on the 13th I think. Is that worthwhile?

Pls advice....if I can find a scuba provider and do some quick dives...!

Thanks
Kris

Holiday Hotel is right in the middle of town. It has a beach, but not what you are probably imagining. It is a busy spot and the beach is a main thoroughfare. Anyway, most shops do not dive in the afternoon. You may be able to find a shop with a 230 dive. What I would do it do one dive in the AM and then do the snorkeling trip later in the day. If you have a group of more than 4, there should be no issue with rescheduling the snorkeling to allow you to dive in the AM. I dive with Island Divers which is about 20 minutes walk down the beach from town. They would pick you up by boat in town. They also run very nice snorkeling trips to Hol Chan and would probably give you guys a private trip. Short of that, Talk to Nef at Excite Belize. They are just to the left from Holiday Hotel on the beach on the Tackle Box dock. He runs dive and snorkeling trip and also has sailing excursions.

Amigos Del Mar ADM should accommodate your request...email them.

Thanks both...!

I emailed Amigos Del Mar and Searious Adventures as our agent just recommended them . Emailed Island Divers too. Actually he can book us with anyone if needed.

I usually stay with the DM since if going deeper than 40 ft I can't do a CESA right? I am still a newbie:) I still breathe fast, usually ascend 10 -15 mins earlier than experts.

How deep do dives go usually in Holchan reef? How many people go in each trip ? Is min..say around 10?

I need them to be very newbie friendly, do buddy checks, take safety precautions a lot, have good working rental gear, and accommodate my request as above in one day( apr 13th).

thanks again ..kris

At 14, my daughter entered ADM on Thursday night...Monday she was OW certified...Tuesday, we did the Blue hole....ADM is a very accommodating DS!

What time are you flying back on the 14th? If you are planning to dive on the afternoon of the 13th be sure to factor in the "wait to fly" rule.

What time are you flying back on the 14th? If you are planning to dive on the afternoon of the 13th be sure to factor in the "wait to fly" rule.
On 14th flight leaves to Miami around 11 am.
I was thinking about that rule.
I'll do a dive or two....thought it won't matter!
Shall I ask ADM to just take me to shallow reefs say around 30f?

ADM emailed back saying the group can snorkel and shark pet in afternoon 2 pm.
So that I can dive morning with them...starting at 9 a.m..

In general snorkeling in a.m.is better..but how is holchan and shark alley petting in after noon? Will it still be good? Will water be clear in a.m. Or p.m.?
Pls advice!

At 14, my daughter entered ADM on Thursday night...Monday she was OW certified...Tuesday, we did the Blue hole....ADM is a very accommodating DS!
your daughter did the blue hole?

your daughter did the blue hole?

Yes, but to only 50 feet or so....I went to 158 with two others to harass the bull sharks.

On 14th flight leaves to Miami around 11 am.
I was thinking about that rule.
I'll do a dive or two....thought it won't matter!
Shall I ask ADM to just take me to shallow reefs say around 30f?
Pls advice!

15 years ago or so, a very accommodating Tropic pilot knew my crazy son had done a dive just before the flight. So he flew at about 300 feet or so to Belize City. I don't know any of the pilots today though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom