Sunderland to South Shields shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slim4412

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I’m looking at different places I visit around the UK and looking at if there’s a possibility to dive there. One of the most common places I visit is Sunderland and Newcastle-upon-Tyne as I have family there.

I lived in Sunderland for 4 years while at uni and used to walk the coastline to South Shields and always thought there should be some decent dive sites. I'm looking for somewhere that is shore access, doesn't need to be anything special like a wreck or some beautiful reef. Just looking for something with a bit of rock formation, maybe some channels as I know that's a common theme around there.

My questions are:
A) Are there any known sites along this stretch of coast?

B) Is there anything I need to look out for if anyone has actually dived there?
- Thinking about the nearby disused colliery (Whitburn Colliery) - Possible chemicals being released due to the old mine shafts?​
- Known strong currents?​
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
George

Not sure if its needed but Im currently PADI rescue with ~170 dives.
Done loads of UK diving, mainly St Abbs, Lochaline and Capernwray. Im also a qualified PADI Self Reliant Diver but not doing this solo as its unknown to me and just feel its not needed.

I know of a couple of bays a bit further south, you can dive Robin Hoods bay and at Staithes I believe, but not sure much further north. I think I found them in a UK shore dives book. I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but there's a couple of boats out of South Shields now you can get on.
Rich

Thanks for the info Rich! I knew it was a long shot about that stretch of coastline. Ive visited Staithes and Robin Hoods bay quite a few times in the past too so might look into that.

The book looks interesting, might have to get to at!

Thanks
George

The geology of the seabed is based the land bridge to Europe when that bit was Doggerland and goes from about Newcastle and wraps round to basically the Isle of Wight. It's essentially a muddy bottom on all of that bit, I think a forest years ago. As you get north of Newcastle it becomes a rocky bottom, and again west of the Isle of Wight / Portland. This is why there isn't a great deal of diving on the east coast of England, apart from the southern bit of the Channel with loads of wrecks, it's all muddy.

I found that helpful when thinking about planning dives, thought it might be of interest.
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom