Terrified.....airport closures due to volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Info Update: due to Mt. Barujari (Rinjani) eruption, Ngurah Rai Airport Bali closure is extended until 6 November 2015 08.45am local time

I believe there is a flight you can get that goes: Jakarta to Kupang to Maumere to LBJ... Check with both Lion/Wings and Garuda
Thank u!
I will look into booking that flight......I will have to find out of my doha-dps flight can be rerouted to cgk.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 07:46 PM ----------

You may want to take some deep breaths and get control of yourself. If you are going to do this kind of travel, then you'd better learn to roll a bit with the punches. It is not life-theartening to reroute a flight, or even delay a trip, or even cancel it all together. Travel is what it is, volcanoes are what they are, and planning for contingencies is the name of the game. You've started that by building in a buffer day. Travel insurance is another contingency plan. Have multiple such plans ready....and then use whichever ones fit the moment. Your goal is to turn "emergencies" into "annoyances." Your goal is never to be terrified, and never to be a nervous wreck.
Easy for you to say, I've saved pennies for a year and a half for this, I don't own a credit card, it's amazing that I made this happen, and it IS a big deal for me. I can't just throw a credit card at the ordeal and make everything better with no worries for cost.

Last edited:
Easy for you to say, I've saved pennies for a year and a half for this, I don't own a credit card, it's amazing that I made this happen, and it IS a big deal for me.

In that case you may want to do more homework on things like travel insurance before you buy or post what it covers or doesn't cover. Hurricanes are acts of god, for example, but they are covered. Just read the policy, and ask the questions of the company before putting your hard-saved pennies into it. Use a professional travel agent to sort out flight options and alternatives...don't be an amateur and think you can decipher all the websites and restrictions.

The bigger the deal it is for you, the more you should take it seriously and arrange it seriously and develop your contingency plans. Once you get "terrified" and panic, it is game over.

In that case you may want to do more homework on things like travel insurance before you buy or post what it covers or doesn't cover. Hurricanes are acts of god, for example, but they are covered. Just read the policy, and ask the questions of the company before putting your hard-saved pennies into it. Use a professional travel agent to sort out flight options and alternatives...don't be an amateur and think you can decipher all the websites and restrictions.

The bigger the deal it is for you, the more you should take it seriously and arrange it seriously and develop your contingency plans. Once you get "terrified" and panic, it is game over.
You don't know me very well.
And I mentioned above that I called my insurance and it does cover this.

You don't know me very well. I am insulted but it's ok, I won't take your comments seriously. You have no clue how much homework I've done. By the way, I mentioned above that I called my insurance and it does cover this.

Indonesia is an amazing place. Have fun and don't sweat the stuff you cannot control. Life is too short!

You don't know me very well. I am insulted but it's ok, I won't take your comments seriously. You have no clue how much homework I've done. By the way, I mentioned above that I called my insurance and it does cover this.

I'm sorry you do not like my input, but i really am trying to be helpful.

Saying in the title of your OP that you are terrified is either silly hyperbole, or an actual statement of your attitude....and since you mentioned in again in the post I can only assume you are actually terrified.

In that OP you clearly did NOT know what your insurance covered.

I am suggesting that you can avoid this in the future by doing even more of what you are doing, which is to develop contingency plans. I am also suggesting that professional travel agents might be helpful, as opposed to random posters on an internet forum. You seem like you have great trust in social media and no use for experts. Good luck if you have a serious medical problem.

I'm sorry you do not like my input, but i really am trying to be helpful.

Saying in the title of your OP that you are terrified is either silly hyperbole, or an actual statement of your attitude....and since you mentioned in again in the post I can only assume you are actually terrified.

In that OP you clearly did NOT know what your insurance covered.

I am suggesting that you can avoid this in the future by doing even more of what you are doing, which is to develop contingency plans. I am also suggesting that professional travel agents might be helpful, as opposed to random posters on an internet forum. You seem like you have great trust in social media and no use for experts. Good luck if you have a serious medical problem.
Ok....I realize you are trying to help, and I am listening to your advice, it is good advice, but you really don't me very well.
What's wrong with being terrified that the trip I've been dreaming of for years may be in jeopardy? Excuse me for being worried.

I'd be more terrified if the planes actually decided to continue flying through the ash. Yeah, it sucks when trips don't go to plan, but I'd rather be safe so that I can live to dive another day.

S**t happens. I'd rather lose a few thousand dollars than lose my life.

Also, serious question...How exactly do you plan to get by without a credit card if something goes wrong? You would have to pay for any flight modifications out of pocket and claim the money back from your travel insurance later, which can take months.

We are due to fly out from BNE -DPS next Saturday 14th. We join the boat (Mermaid II) the same day (usually we go the day before, but leave was tight).

I'm hoping it clears up by then, but if not then we have insurance. VA are refunding flights or crediting them back. The boat wont refund, but hopefully the insurance will cover the cost (minus our excess) .Yes we'll be gutted if we miss our trip, but there's nothing we can do and worrying about it isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. If DPS is closed, then an awful lot of folk will be in the same boat (pardon the pun :D)

I wondered the same thing. How can you travel half way across the world without having a CC with a good sized credit line?

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 08:06 PM ----------

But... Good luck and have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom