Trip Report Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw this cool video of Pulau Pef

So Dan since you've stayed at several resorts, which was your favorite? I'm doing a liveaboard trip (Ambai) to Banda and the forgotten islands and will probably try to tack on a week or so of land based diving at the end.

So Dan since you've stayed at several resorts, which was your favorite? I'm doing a liveaboard trip (Ambai) to Banda and the forgotten islands and will probably try to tack on a week or so of land based diving at the end.

Diving wise, I like Raja4 Divers. As far as resort, I like Misool Eco Resort. Having AC in the bungalow is a must for me.

Diving wise, I like Raja4 Divers. As far as resort, I like Misool Eco Resort. Having AC in the bungalow is a must for me.
Thanks. I'm thinking Raja4Divers is the way to go. I usually only have a problem without AC the first few nights in the tropics. This will be 4 months into the trip so hopefully I'll have adjusted. Great for this but is going to make coming back to the US in December... unpleasant. :)

Yes, very nice report! Thank you for your effort.
About AC in Livebaords - most of the liveaboards for 10 pax and more have AC, but the one which are not could turn into the nightmare. Like if there is no wind at night or in the rainy weather when everything is locked and there is no fresh air. But most of the liveaboards do have AC in each cabin now so if you will choose this option - just double check with the operator.

About Makassar: every time we go there, we stay in Fave hotel - very comfortable and affordable rooms (around 300 000 IDR per night). Have family room as well.
And we go to eat to Sushi Tei - freat hight quality Japanese cuisine. A bit pricey, but still can eat for 150 000 IDR per person.

Thanks for the nice report and photos.

This is off-topic but maybe it can be of help. I just did an 18-day trip in the Tuamotos in French Polynesia where I stayed at lodgings with no-AC and on a liveaboard also with no AC and no fan. There are, of course, AC lodging options in Rangiroa, but at 3X-8X the cost, but not in South Fakarava. And there is one liveaboard that does offer AC, but for reasons that are even more off-topic, I preferred to go with the one that I chose.

In any case, I am also spoiled, but when there are no other reasonable accommodation choices, what else to do. Well, when the cool sea breezes were not there, or when it rained and I couldn't open the overhead hatches on the liveaboard, a portable, rechargeable battery-powered fan that can also be powered by a rechargeable USB powerbank blowing air in my face saved the night's sleep. Both of these were bought thru Amazon.

The brand name of the fan from Amazon is Topwell, but I have seen many identical ones sold under a different brand name, all made in, needless to say, China. It comes with a heavy-duty alligator-type clamp and an approx. 10-inch gooseneck, so it is not difficult to mount somewhere nearby and direct the air in the desired direction. It is roughly about 5" x 4" x 1.5", plus the clamp and gooseneck, which can be disassembled from the fan for easier packing and transport.

The Powerbank is an EasyACC, but since I bought it in 2016, I am guessing that by now you can get one that is perhaps cheaper and more powerful.

This will of course vary from person to person, but I never had to run this fan at any but its lowest speed, so I was able to get up to 5 nights of running time from one powerbank charge. And I always had the battery within the fan as a back-up, which you can recharge using either a battery charger for that size battery (Li-18650) or by plugging the fan into any powered USB port. If travelling with a significant other, I would suggest one fan for each.

The only word of caution with this set-up is that the range of speeds available from the fan varies depending on which brand and what the power source is. When used with its battery, I could get 3 speeds. But with the powerbank, only 2.

Lack of AC was not a problem at R4D ... the bungalows face the water, with large, barn-like sliding doors that allow you to sleep with the breeze coming in off the water. As a person who lives in northern, cooler climes, I'm pretty susceptible to discomfort in hot weather. But at no time did I find myself wishing for AC while sleeping ... the rooms were naturally cool enough.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can you compare Raja 4 Divers house reef to Misool Eco Resort house reef

Back
Top Bottom