Terrified.....airport closures due to volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the TPE airport (not going to DPS) and the EVA flight changed to "time change" with no concrete time announced as of yet. So maybe the Thursday comments above was a bit optimistic.

Volcanos don't have a schedule. I just hope there are no eruptions in 5 weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Having missed my Komodo LOB this last July due to a volcano.... I would highly recommend trip insurance for any trip to Indonesia now. Luckily my insurance covered the volcano. If you have given yourself a 4 day buffer you should be ok. The LOB could book a fast boat if a major eruption closed the airport down for multiple days. We unfortunately had the trifecta of the volcano, Ramadan and a Bali Holiday that prevented us from getting on another flight after 2 were cancelled 2 days in a row.

I have suffered through this a number of times in Indonesia and South America. There's often not much you can do if the only way to get where you're going is via an airport that's had to stop flights. That being said, my experience is that my travel insurance does cover the cost of the aborted trip due to volcanic ash. However you had to have bought the travel insurance prior to the volcano erupting - which one of my travel companions learned the hard way.

I am in the same situation as Mikey Canuk with my trip to Raja Ampat in just over a month. However if my flights to Sorong get delayed and I miss the boat, I already have an established contingency plan in place. I already have existing plans to go to Ambon after Raja Ampat, so all I will do is rearrange my flight from Sorong to Ambon earlier than anticipated, call the resort, and spend that extra time diving in Ambon instead. If your flights do get delayed, it might be a good idea for you to also have a backup plan in place. Sometimes you simply just have to make the best of a bad situation.

I did discover that if my flight is cancelled for more than 24 hours due to the volcano that I will get reimbursed. I'm still hoping for the best

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

At least I'm in the boat (so to speak) that Misool books people on 2 flights that they will wait for. So the worst is that I get stranded in CGK for a few days.

That July eruption I was in the Solomons and missed the cyclone that wrecked the previous weeks cruise. Our TA was BUSY, we were on our way back to LAX from Venice when I see a text with CYCLONE in it!!! And she was shuttling people around the DPS shutdown (it was an agency in OZ)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Info Update: due to Mt. Barujari (Rinjani) eruption, Ngurah Rai Airport Bali closure is extended until 6 November 2015 08.45am local time

I believe there is a flight you can get that goes: Jakarta to Kupang to Maumere to LBJ... Check with both Lion/Wings and Garuda

I'm terrified and a nervous wreck.
You may want to take some deep breaths and get control of yourself. If you are going to do this kind of travel, then you'd better learn to roll a bit with the punches. It is not life-theartening to reroute a flight, or even delay a trip, or even cancel it all together. Travel is what it is, volcanoes are what they are, and planning for contingencies is the name of the game. You've started that by building in a buffer day. Travel insurance is another contingency plan. Have multiple such plans ready....and then use whichever ones fit the moment. Your goal is to turn "emergencies" into "annoyances." Your goal is never to be terrified, and never to be a nervous wreck.

We just returned from an amazing trip to Komodo. BTW, it is snowing here in the Beav'. I wish I had been stuck in Indo:D! It is all part of the adventure.

Best of luck on your travels.

Back
Top Bottom