Apparently need a new dive comp and soonish. Input, opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfgangmob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I had an issue with my Aeris Manta dive comp and sent it in but it appears USPS lost it in transit and can't find it two weeks after it was supposed to arrive at Oceanic so I'm probably going to be needing a new dive comp and need to order it no later than next Monday. It needs to be nitrox capable and I greatly prefer multi button, backlight, and the option of gauge mode. Currently I'm considering the Suunto Vyper (~$325), Hollis DG03 from DGX ($250), and Oceanic Veo 2.0 or 3.0 ($230 or $285). I know all of those are going to be fairly similar for features but are any of them particularly better or stand out? I know the Vyper comes with the data cable and the DG03 and VEO comps are going to be fairly similar to each other and would require separate purchase of a data cable. Any suggestions or experiences with the comps mentioned? Currently I'm thinking the Hollis DG03 might be it since it's cheaper than Veo 3.0 and capable when I get around to higher certs. Any other suggestions in this price point before I make my final decision?

Or, the Oceanic Geo 2 would be an updated version of your Manta. It is currently on sale for $300/390 with download cable from scuba.com, perhaps other venders also. Make sure you get the decompression algorithm(s) you want, Suunto runs its own RBGM, Hollis runs Buhlmann, Oceanic is dual algorithm with both DSAT and Buhlmann. Your Manta ran DSAT.

I have run a Geo 2 along with SPG as backup for my primary Oceanic VT3 for 4 years/nearly 500 dives. It's a very good dive computer, absolutely no problems, on my 3rd battery

Good luck on your decision. Was your shipment to Oceanic insured, to assist you with your new purchase? It's just a matter of time, though not in your price range, someone will tell you to buy a Petrel 2 soon.

Or, the Oceanic Geo 2 would be an updated version of your Manta. It is currently on sale for $300/390 with download cable from scuba.com, perhaps other venders also. Make sure you get the decompression algorithm(s) you want, Suunto runs its own RBGM, Hollis runs Buhlmann, Oceanic is dual algorithm with both DSAT and Buhlmann. Your Manta ran DSAT.

I have run a Geo 2 along with SPG as backup for my primary Oceanic VT3 for 4 years/nearly 500 dives. It's a very good dive computer, absolutely no problems, on my 3rd battery

Good luck on your decision. Was your shipment to Oceanic insured, to assist you with your new purchase? It's just a matter of time, though not in your price range, someone will tell you to buy a Petrel 2 soon.

My shipment had the standard $50 since it was in a flat rate box, which is more than I would have done if I used a box I had laying around. As far as algorithms, I know the Suunto is supposed to be fairly conservative, how does Suunto's RGBM, DSAT, and Buhlmann compare in terms of being conservative? Otherwise this dive comp just needs to be usable for AOW and deep diving, if I ever get into tech diving I will consider the petrel comps but for now I just need something recreational.

I just bought the Oceanic ProPlus 3. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I love the interface and the fact that Oceanic uses the same interface on pretty much all their computers.

My shipment had the standard $50 since it was in a flat rate box, which is more than I would have done if I used a box I had laying around. As far as algorithms, I know the Suunto is supposed to be fairly conservative, how does Suunto's RGBM, DSAT, and Buhlmann compare in terms of being conservative? Otherwise this dive comp just needs to be usable for AOW and deep diving, if I ever get into tech diving I will consider the petrel comps but for now I just need something recreational.
In general the Suunto RGBM will be the most conservative, especially with repetitive diving. The DSAT will be the most liberal and the Pelagic Z (Buhlmann ZHL-16c) somewhere in the middle.

I have just switched form a Veo 2.0 to a Petrel 2 - for no real reason other than I REALLY like the shiney :)

I have used the Veo for ~190 dives and have been quite happy with it, good computer. I will continue to use it as a backup.

Reactions: Jax
I would go with a Geo. The sunnto is way to conservative for me.

In general the Suunto RGBM will be the most conservative, especially with repetitive diving. The DSAT will be the most liberal and the Pelagic Z (Buhlmann ZHL-16c) somewhere in the middle.

If you think you may upgrade to a Petrel in the future, you may want to get a computer now that runs Buhlmann, so that they will reasonably match

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom