Apparently need a new dive comp and soonish. Input, opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Suunto Mosquito. Did not like it because it as so conservative. So I bought the Oceanic Geo. For the first dive with my Oceanic, I also wore the Suunto. The Oceanic gave me double the bottom time. Plus we had problems with the Suunto which they replaced with a new one. Love the Oceanic!

Otherwise this dive comp just needs to be usable for AOW and deep diving, if I ever get into tech diving I will consider the petrel comps but for now I just need something recreational.
From the description aeris a300 looks like a geo w/o upgradeable firmware and is $200 at amazon. Petrel or OSTC sport will give you a large shiny screen for $600 but if I were dropping that much cash on a dc I'd seriously consider saving up a bit more and going for the datamask. (Esp. if I could take it for a test drive first.)

From the description aeris a300 looks like a geo w/o upgradeable firmware and is $200 at amazon. Petrel or OSTC sport will give you a large shiny screen for $600 but if I were dropping that much cash on a dc I'd seriously consider saving up a bit more and going for the datamask. (Esp. if I could take it for a test drive first.)
The a300 should be similar to the Veo 3.0, also apparently Amazon has some on warehouse deal for under $165 as well, might be worth going for even if there isn't warranty on it.

The datamask is only good if it fits. Then you now have two batteries to worry about. Petrel is still a better computer as well.

Also there's at least one user who found it way more obtrusive than a wrist unit. And I have slight CSR that may or may not get in the way of the display. So yeah, I wouldn't really buy it without trying first.

Petrel is a better computer if your definition of "better" is "tech features and no HUD nor AI". If you don't need tech and want that brick off your wrist and that hose off your left hip, petrel is a non-starter.

Ended up grabbing the Aeris A300 Amazon had that was open box for $160 but looks like no warranty. If it survives a couple dives I'll be taking after getting I figure it will be okay, worst case there is a 30-day return if it is unusable when I get it.

Also there's at least one user who found it way more obtrusive than a wrist unit. And I have slight CSR that may or may not get in the way of the display. So yeah, I wouldn't really buy it without trying first.

Petrel is a better computer if your definition of "better" is "tech features and no HUD nor AI". If you don't need tech and want that brick off your wrist and that hose off your left hip, petrel is a non-starter.

That's a little one sided, you only listed what it is not, not what it is. What it is are the reasons people buy them. AI is not better for example, it's a feature some want and some do not.

That's a little one sided, you only listed what it is not, not what it is. What it is are the reasons people buy them. AI is not better for example, it's a feature some want and some do not.
I listed exactly the reasons to buy a datamask: one less hose, display in your face. Even a geo 2 has a better feature set and I think they're silly to put that dc in a product with that msrp, but since I've no intention on dropping a grand on dc anytime soon anyway, it's all purely academic to me.

Edit: ... but on second thought more functions need more buttons to use them and having more buttons on the mask where you have to press them without seeing them... while wearing 7mm gloves... I can see how you might want to just stick in the dumbest dc you got and put the product on the market now. Rather than spend months trying to come up with a usable interface and lose the time-to-market game.

Last edited:
. . . Petrel is a better computer if your definition of "better" is "tech features and no HUD nor AI". If you don't need tech and want that brick off your wrist and that hose off your left hip, petrel is a non-starter.

I find the "brick" kinda reassuring. The housing appears to be machined from a solid block of Delrin. The faceplate is thick. The thing is built like a tank ... or brick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom