hypothetical question:using BCD manual inflator as spare alternate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
seeing the BCD has a mouthpiece, an air exhaust and a LP air supply, could it theoretically be used as an alternate air source in an emergency,assuming say:

-primary reg diaphram completely tears
-octopus reg mechanism found to be seized shut
-buddy no where to be seen
-& am inside a wreck well beyond the light zone

i searched a bit here, & while there is mention of taking a last breath from the BCD before CESA, i didnt find this idea discussed. i didnt want to verify this by actually trying it topside as BCDs can culture nasties inside, but maybe people here familiar with how it works mechanically inside might comment on if the idea might work in a desperate situation.

thx

seeing the BCD has a mouthpiece, an air exhaust and a LP air supply, could it theoretically be used as an alternate air source in an emergency,assuming say:

i searched a bit here, & while there is mention of taking a last breath from the BCD before CESA, i didnt find this idea discussed. i didnt want to verify this by actually trying it topside as BCDs can culture nasties inside, but maybe people here familiar with how it works mechanically inside might comment on if the idea might work in a desperate situation.

thx

Do you think you'll get more air out of it than the "last breath" discussions?

so it's more of an theoretical issue of having the gas but no easy feeder mechanism due to issues with primary & 2ndary regulators ?

thx
There are those who would argue that if you went into a wreck well beyond the light zone without redundant air and with two malfunctioning regulators and no buddy, then the best situation would be to remove you from the gene pool.

actually i am trying to disprove Darwin by a successful escape

an alternate method would be to cut the bad reg off and sip the free flow, but you would have to hold the cut end shut with your hand to conserve air in the tank. using the bcd you could use the buttons to open & close the air, and thus have would 2 hands free when needed to aid getting out of the wreck

actually i am trying to disprove Darwin by a successful escape

an alternate method would be to cut the bad reg off and sip the free flow, but you would have to hold the cut end shut with your hand to conserve air in the tank. using the bcd you could use the buttons to open & close the air, and thus have would 2 hands free when needed to aid getting out of the wreck

Rather than imply that it would be better that you die, I would suggest you try it (in a pool). It is not that hard, I did it this weekend.. my buddy was on his safety stop, I was snorkeling above him, swam down, shared his primary for a few breaths, then used his standard inflator to get a few more. You have to press the deflate and inflate at the same time. I think I pressed the inflate a little longer than the deflate, and then I had to dump from his BC..

Agreed that its not the optimal solution but it beats trying to breath water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom