Please recommend a dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello craig. I dont want to repeat myself. I think if you read my posts in this thread you will understand why i want to try a different operator for this trip.

At first I didn't understand your original post either, but in later posts you clarified what you were thinking, and it made sense to me. For one thing, you said something along the lines of Aldora charging a premium for things you no longer need. If Blue XTSea is a better deal for you, go for it. I really enjoyed diving with them. Before my Coz trip a few months ago I searched the SB threads to see what dive ops were being recommended, and it appeared to me that Aldora and Blue XTSea were the two most frequently recommended ops. In my mind at least, I put them in the same class of top-notch operations.

I like red headed women. Want to insult my tastes too...??

I think you're insulting bow-legged women by leaving them out.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 09:03 AM ----------

Before my Coz trip a few months ago I searched the SB threads to see what dive ops were being recommended, and it appeared to me that Aldora and Blue XTSea were the two most frequently recommended ops. In my mind at least, I put them in the same class of top-notch operations.

Maybe on scubaboard, and maybe that has a lot to do with the amount of activity both of them maintain on scubaboard. If you look at tripadvisor Aldora doesn't even make the list of top 10 dive operators.

Before my Coz trip a few months ago I searched the SB threads to see what dive ops were being recommended, and it appeared to me that Aldora and Blue XTSea were the two most frequently recommended ops. In my mind at least, I put them in the same class of top-notch operations.

In addition to anothers' post; many, many people I know that come to the island now have dropped this board as the result of posters who claim 'know it all' status of all things diving with regards to Coz dive ops. Literally speaking, if I was new to the island and new to diving I would simply agree that there are only two, maybe three dive ops on the island to use from the opinions(used figuratively) written in this forum. From the many conversations I have with travelers, the rude come backs about their personal adventures and opinions of the dive ops they use is the reason for leaving this board of INFORMATION.
I know several people that run highly personalized and successful operations here. They may not own there own boat, they may not have there own shop but they run great dive trips every day. They are not listed here or dont have websites. Might just call them old school. Anyone here dive before internet? or travel for that matter?
I read this board nearly everyday. I still bet many many pms and emails from people from when I used to post here about the shop I used, now changed. It is a nice day when I receive a note saying they are down at such and such time. And they are going to try diving with so and so this time. I like that. They are sampling all that the island has to offer. There is so much to taste. I wonder if there are any divers here from before internet days. For that matter anyone that traveled pre internet days. You would or likely be older than 35. Old school travel was so much fun. Man I miss that. I too am engrossed with needing to know my outcome of adventure before it happens lately. What a drag. All in the name of 'i dont want to waste my holiday searching while there bull crap.' Well adventurers and pre and post just come and sample the island as a beargin. You wont be disappointed. O if you know how to dive or dont it is a fabulous place to learn. I know, I am taking my 30 dives wife out today. She is so loving it. I am glad I kept her off this forum she would have been too scared to dive from all the bull spread here. Just my opinion. I love this island. I come here a lot, spread over the year approx. 4mos here. That does not even closely make me an expert on the goings on here. Although I do know a lot of dirt......
How fast will this be turfed by the mods. lol A great day to all, and all the best to the op of this forum, I hope your days here are fabulous. kevin

Kevin said:
I am glad I kept her off this forum she would have been too scared to dive from all the bull spread here. Just my opinion. I love this island.

I couldn't agree more. I'm here with my GF getting her checkout dives. There's more to a dive op than big shinny boats and lip service.
The market usually takes care of itself...... Gotta go, time to dive......:wink:

I guess it will get quiet around 6:30 Eastern Time when the Bowl commercials start. I've seen 32 of them I think, most of them a waste of millions - but some cute ones. Loved the kid and dog fighting over Doritos. :laughing:

Hello Firstdive.

I'm pre-internet age. You have many true comments about SB. True about many other boards too. I don't find it difficult to ignore the obnoxious members and stay out of the silly arguing threads. SB pluses easily outweigh the minuses for me and I assume the people in this discussion. Because of SB, the dive operators in my 5 previous trips has been Aldora and Living Underwater. Next trip will be with BlueXtsea. I am adventurous, but prefer pleasant surprises vs. disappointments. A little research on SB can help this come true.

Hello Firstdive.

I'm pre-internet age. You have many true comments about SB. True about many other boards too. I don't find it difficult to ignore the obnoxious members and stay out of the silly arguing threads. SB pluses easily outweigh the minuses for me and I assume the people in this discussion. Because of SB, the dive operators in my 5 previous trips has been Aldora and Living Underwater. Next trip will be with BlueXtsea. I am adventurous, but prefer pleasant surprises vs. disappointments. A little research on SB can help this come true.

Youll love Christi, she's my bud. Have great bubble time dude.

On the subject of pre-Internet travel, oh man, I kind of miss it. I'm ambivalent about technology in general. My first visit to Cozumel, I showed up on the island with my things in a backpack and no dive gear with me except a mask. I had been traveling around Central America for a few months, bumming around and doing some diving when I could. I did almost no research using the Internet, though we're talking just 10 years ago. I basically picked a dive op by walking around and seeing what I could find. It turned out okay that time, but the long and the short of it is that these days I believe doing a little Internet research can avoid some headaches when traveling.

As for the biases of SB denizens, I think SB is a much better forum to get dive op recommendations than Tripadvisor. I find Tripadvisor almost useless, with often totally inconsistent reviews--probably due to the great variety of people who use Tripadvisor. At least when a SB poster gives an opinion you can get some idea of that person's perspective from his other posts.

Many of us use the same dive op because we are very satisfied with their service, prices, professionalism, etc. What's wrong with loyalty? Also, when you use the same OP over and over, the OP sees you as a loyal customer and may give you a better price on future visits. I would think a diver who has become dissatisfied with an OP's service will look around for someone who will better fit his/her needs. SB is a the place for many of us to go for information, but not the only place. As with any information one gets off the internet, I hope we all use good judgement and rationale when processing what we've read. In most cases, when someone posts a question on SB, that person is truly looking for information that will help him/her make a good decision. We all have at least one thing in common....WE LOVE TO DIVE! When I post on SB I feel I have a responsibility as a "member" to be honest, unsnarky (is that a word?), and back up my comments with what I've experienced in an honest and polite manner. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have not been on this forum a long time. In my opinion the worst comment made about Cozumel diving was reportedly the assertion by one of the divers on that poorly planned and implemented dive on air to around 300 feet using 80 cu ft (and maybe one 100 cu ft) tanks that a downcurrent was at the root of the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom