DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn:
Occam with an "a" as in William of Occam or Ockham, the original spelling. The rule is "the plurality should not be assumed without necessity."
Drat - I guess when correcting misspellings, I should check for my own typos! :eyebrow:

And yes, the original quote, "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" is roughly translated as above, or also as "plurality should not be posited without necessity". However, today it is roughly thought of as the simpler the explanation, the better and is also called the Principle of Parsimony.

In any event, it certainly does not equate to the more choices, the poorer the decision. That's another Rule or Principle, but I forget who posited it and what it's called...

well, in flight school they tell you that if you add another engine to a single-engine
plane, you just multiplied by 2 everything that can go wrong.

H2Andy:
well, in flight school they tell you that if you add another engine to a single-engine
plane, you just multiplied by 2 everything that can go wrong.

A pilot friend of mine always tells me that the second engine is to allow you to fly
to the crash site :wink:

gj62:
Drat - I guess when correcting misspellings, I should check for my own typos! :eyebrow:

And yes, the original quote, "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" is roughly translated as above, or also as "plurality should not be posited without necessity". However, today it is roughly thought of as the simpler the explanation, the better and is also called the Principle of Parsimony.

In any event, it certainly does not equate to the more choices, the poorer the decision. That's another Rule or Principle, but I forget who posited it and what it's called...

Actually, that's how it's usually interpreted in use, but IIRC, William (who didn't actually conceive of the principle, but publicized it in his writings) used it in very much the obverse sense: when figuring out which of many hypotheses are correct, you should attempt to exclude the simplest one first.

Could we *be* any more OT?

gkndivebum:
A pilot friend of mine always tells me that the second engine is to allow you to fly to the crash site :wink:
"Four wheel drive will get you stuck in better scenery"

-Tom Shuey (friend of mine)

Roak

Hmmm ... and what does all of that suggest about diving doubles???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I decided to post this question to this thread because of all the knowledgeable guys already on it. It will be read by more and faster than if I posted separately.

Is the phrase "DIR" patented? If it is an unpatented system then can PADI or NAUI have a DIR course? Not saying they should or should'nt but can they?

Halcyon has trademarked (not patented) "DIR" - the phrase. There is nothing to stop an agency from teaching the same skills/philosophy as GUE (who teaches DIR), but I don't think Halcyon would let them use "DIR".

gj62:
Halcyon has trademarked (not patented) "DIR" - the phrase.

I still prefer the abbreviation for the phrase "Society of Technical Risk-Optimising Karst Explorers Doing It Correctly".

This, of course, is abbreviated:

--------------STROKE DIC---------------------

(The above term is not my invention. Rather, it was created by Tom Mount.)

Cheers!

:cwmddd: Well, monkey, I don't give a Tinker's Damn if you wank DIR or dive Supreme!

Actually "DIR" is a registered trademark of one of the Ski compani's (Nordica I think) it stands for Dynamic Interactive Release or something similar. Was all over my Ski's in Italy this winter with its little (R) mark, which technically means no one else can use it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom