DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fan(t)a(s)tic:
Fondue parties are out of date? Well, mister: not over here :wink:

I guess with one very Swiss exception.

LOL

I had a fondue just last week.

alas, my wife and mine's favorite restaurant in Gainesville was a fondue restaurant
(the Melting Pot).

i think that's the only fondue restaurant left in Florida :wink:

I was just wondering,

How many people have killed themselves doing tech dives on the Doria and all the other wrecks, deep or otherwise, or any dive out there were diving using the DIR mentality

And then how many people got killed doing those same dives using their own gear configuration.

Just wondering if this whole DIR is really that much better?

BTYA:
I was just wondering,

How many people have killed themselves doing tech dives on the Doria and all the other wrecks, deep or otherwise, or any dive out there were diving using the DIR mentality

And then how many people got killed doing those same dives using their own gear configuration.

Just wondering if this whole DIR is really that much better?

Gear configuration, of course, isn't the only issue but I'm not aware of any of the divers who have died on the Doria being DIR.

BTYA:
Yeah but HOW MANY DIR DIVERS HAVE KILLED THEMSELVES DIVING DIR?
None...Troll

Besides...getting killed on a dive is itself very un-DIR. Therefore the moment you're killed you are no longer DIR.

ok, so how many divers were DIR the nanosecond before their untimely demise
and removal from the ranks of DIR divers?

on the serious side, none of the Doria deaths i know of were DIR, and I have a complete list. I believe that the WKPP has been casualty-free since its inception?

as for the deaths i track (in Florida), I am not aware of any DIR divers dying in
the last two years, but this is highly unnofficial.

jonnythan:
Nothing about DIR is really all that new, and it never claimed any of the techniques were new. It's the holistic system that's relatively new.

While you are correct about none of it being new (reference comments by Bill Main himself), except perhaps (as you note) the holistic approach, some of the self-appointed DIR luminaries have commented on it as if it were their own invention. This self-aggrandizing approach has caused a lot of problems.

------------------------------------------------------

:cwmddd: "Well, monkey, I don't give a peddler's damn whether you wank DIR or dive Supreme."---(Mr. Natural)

One of the writers on this Board has posted the following: "The enemy here is Darwin, and he's the only one DIR divers are concerned with."

I have noted other posters following that theme, with comments like: "This one wins the Darwin Award."

If I may just clear up a small misconception, it is MR. MURPHY who is the real enemy. He is always lurking, and trying to make sure that our day ends up badly; sometimes extremely so!

The "Darwin Award", historically and genetically speaking, goes to those who successfully adapt and SURVIVE.

So it would be Murphy that DIR folks, and all of us, especially instructors, are concerned about!!!

--------------------------------------------------

:cwmddd: "Well, monkey, I don't give a peddler's damn whether you wank DIR or dive Supreme."---(Mr. Natural)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom