DIR: God's gift to diving or Hell spawn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger,

Good luck with your quest. You are doing a real service by taking the time to condense some of these threads! I know that just in the time I've been on the Board I've thought to myself: "Not that same question yet again!" Hang in there!

As for the name of the thread, I think it's great! It just sort of fits right into the whole shootin' match! :luxhello:

Maybe instead of a thread it rates a forum where all the non DIR, DIR posts could be put. DIR related not informational, just controversial the title works

DIR:God's gift to diving or Hell spawn

roakey:
This DIR / anti-DIR (for lack of better phrasing) has been going on ever since I joined this file.

And if you have a better name for the thread, PM me.

Roger

I have kept off this thread for many of the reasons Roakey mentioned, but I was discussing this with one of the dive industrys leaders on Saturday and we both had a epiphiny at the same time about DIR and the BP/W issue. It is not as new as you think.

When I got certified in the early 80´s and I wore a backplate, wings and black jetfins. The only difference was instead of being innovative for using a long hose (which has arguable utility in open water) we were being innovative by HAVING an alternative air source.

So Roakey, should this thread be called DIR, Disco, Fondue parties and flared jeans; they all come around again??????,

Now, where did I put that wide paisley tie????

Nothing about DIR is really all that new, and it never claimed any of the techniques were new. It's the holistic system that's relatively new.

In my opinion the reason most peaple,including me, have a problem with DIR, is simply the name. "Doing It Right" implies that everyone who has ever dived, be they military or civilian, recreational or commersial, is doing it wrong.!
and if you are doing it wrong you are gonna die! maybe if they had chosen a more diplomatic name it wouldnt get peoples back up, everytime it is mentioned! I have heard it said that "We didnt name ourselfs as an organisation, it was a name we were given".... <deleted portion>

Niko,

Do you have the same strong objection to Dive-Rite???

If not, why?

NIKO:
In my opinion the reason most peaple,including me, have a problem with DIR, is simply the name. "Doing It Right" implies that everyone who has ever dived, be they military or civilian, recreational or commersial, is doing it wrong.!
and if you are doing it wrong you are gonna die! maybe if they had chosen a more diplomatic name it wouldnt get peoples back up, everytime it is mentioned! I have heard it said that "We didnt name ourselfs as an organisation, it was a name we were given".... <deleted portion>

Well, there's a difference...

rite

n 1: an established ceremony prescribed by a religion; "the rite of baptism" [syn: religious rite] 2: any customary observance or practice [syn: ritual]

Hey, maybe it's really "Doing It Rite" -- that would clear things up a bit now wouldn't it! LOL

-Rob

Funny. That's precisely what the uninformed accuse DIR of being!!

rab:
Well, there's a difference...

rite

n 1: an established ceremony prescribed by a religion; "the rite of baptism" [syn: religious rite] 2: any customary observance or practice [syn: ritual]

Hey, maybe it's really "Doing It Rite" -- that would clear things up a bit now wouldn't it! LOL

-Rob

cancun mark:
DIR, Disco, Fondue parties and flared jeans; they all come around again??????,

Fondue parties are out of date? Well, mister: not over here :wink:

But really, who pulls up these old threads, anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom