Pompano Dive Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the rules: aka the law

Divers-down Flag

• The size of divers-down flags displayed on vessels must be at least 20 inches by 24 inches, and a stiffener is required to keep the flag unfurled. Dive flags carried on floats must be at least 12 inches by 12 inches. Also, divers-down flags on vessels must be displayed above the vessel's highest point so that the flag's visibility is not obstructed in any direction.
  • Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on open waters (all waterways other than rivers, inlets, or navigation channels) and within 100 feet of a flag within rivers, inlets, or navigation channels.
  • Vessel operators must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from divers-down flags on open waters and at least 100 feet from flags on rivers, inlets or navigation channels. Vessels approaching divers-down flags closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels must slow to idle speed.
  • When divers are out of the water, a dive flag may not be displayed.

Sorry you don't like the rules. I think there are too many slow zones in the ICW but that's just tough on me, and I slow down. I agree with the fdarden... Great post.... If you want to dive without a flag, dive south of Lauderdale and North of West Palm. I have had already have enough close calls with divers off the beach and in the inlets with no flag. Any float/marker other than a dive flag does not indicate divers in the water. Frankly I'm surprised a diver would suggest diving without a flag. I can't imagine a Dive Operator around here even considering it.

Just another note, I did away with the 24x24" flag for the boat and only use a 3'x5' flag. It is way more visible. I haven't had one vessel approach us at speed since I went to the larger boat flag.

...before diving without a flag gets you in trouble one way or another. I have been diving all over south florida for over 25 years now and have seen both smart boaters and some really dumb ones. I use a flag. Without one, should there be an incident, I have no legal recourse. Boaters have absolutely no idea where you are underwater without one. Nothing worse than popping up to the surface in front of a boat (we're talking emergency ascent to the surface here, no time to blow lift bags or smbs). Also, some boaters become complacent while boating (the ocean can be very relaxing) and the reaction time necessary to avoid a suddenly appearing diver or liftbag isn't what you think.

As for your other comment about not enjoying your dive because of constantly having to monitor your wife, I also suggest having her paired up with a guide for a few dives. A good guide (such as myself) would be happy to buddy with her and make her feel at ease on any dive. I am also an instructor and would be happy to pass along some tips during the dive to make the experience enjoyable for you both ( and I am happy to carry the flag!). I mainly book dives with scubatyme dive charters (954.786.0909) here in pompano. As was mentioned in another post, they are extremely diver friendly. If you're interested in hiring me as a guide, I can be reached at 954.296.6449.

Doug

fdarden, are you serious???? Are you trying to imply that Jupiter Dive Center is putting divers in danger by not making them carry thier own flags????? But rather having them use an SMB???? That is the stupidest argument in the world! I would much rather have my 6'SMB than a dive flag anyday. Especially when I launch it from 30fsw I am in no more danger than getting run over by a boat in my bathtub!!

The problem is that you have to come up from 30 ft to the surface

Kayak accident - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...tious-if-you-dive-broward-county-florida.html

When I dive JDC, I stay near the DM specifically because I want to surface near the flag. There is another operator that we had a really fun time diving with, but won't go back because of the lack of using a flag and simply relying on the SMB. Don't get me wrong, I carry a 6' SMB and a reel on my dives, but I also have been out fishing with people who had no clue what the SMB was when we came upon them (as it is not enough that many don't know what a dive flag is.)

When I dive in Pompano, my group always carries a flag.

I know there is a ton of info on South Fl dive charters and it is a great resource. But I have a question regarding carrying the dive flag while doing drift dives. I usually dive with JDC and they just put a DM in the water with a huge float for the Capt. to follow but is seems my exp with charters further south is that they require you to carry your own marker. Since I will be diving in Pompano for my aniversarry in Feb with my wife I will be the one stuck carrying the marker. Is there any ops that let you just shoot a bag or would I have to go further north back to JDC? I just feel my wife isn't ready to dive JDC due to her exp and the depth.

I you liked diving with JDC, you should check out Pompan Dive Center. They're own & operated by the same folks the pwn JDC.

When I've done non-wreck diving in Pompano or Ft Lauderdale, someone always tends a flag. With that said, you don't have to stick with just a group of two people per flag. If you meet a couple of other divers that you like and that seem to want to dive the same profile and 'style' that you plan to, you split the flag tending duties with the other buddy team. A buddy and I have done that with other divers on a couple of occasions, though not often.

I am not real fond of tending the flag line either (I do much of my diving with JDC), but if the current is not too strong, its not that big of a deal. I have to juggle a camera too though I don't have the added anxiety of carefully watching over my dive buddy/spouse either.

By the way, I don't think Pompano is affiliated with JDC any longer (that's what I was told when I asked about it at JDC about 6 months ago). I still like Pompano Dive Center though. Scubatyme is also a nice op though I've only done wrecks with them. South Florida Dive Headquarters does a lot of really shallow reefs in Pompano.

Really? Which part of in BROWARD did you miss?? In Jupiter, the drift dives are done FAR AWAY from the majority of the boat traffic, in very deep water typically. Also the boat traffic is no where near as heavy as it is in BROWARD. In BROWARD it is the LAW that you must carry a dive flag. In BROWARD you will be diving within a mile or two of shore max, in the boat lanes, with tons of idiots all around you. You can call my argument stupid if you like, but I can pretty much guarantee you that you do not understand what you are talking about. I captain a dive boat 2-3 times a week in BROWARD. I am well aware of the way the charters operate in Palm Beach County. That is not how they operate in BROWARD, and if you dive without a flag here in Broward you truly are an idiot. (with the exception of wreck dives of course where the boat tends to the divers from a fixed point above) You asked about diving in Pompano. That is not Jupiter. Lucky for you no operator here is STUPID enough to put you in harms way. Not that anyone in Broward pays attention to the flags. They will still run you over. You just wont get a ticket :)

fdarden, are you serious???? Are you trying to imply that Jupiter Dive Center is putting divers in danger by not making them carry thier own flags????? But rather having them use an SMB???? That is the stupidest argument in the world! I would much rather have my 6'SMB than a dive flag anyday. Especially when I launch it from 30fsw I am in no more danger than getting run over by a boat in my bathtub!!

Last edited:
This may be true but it becomes a Pain in the A$$ when you're trying to take pics and catch the occasional lobster.
3 tine reef hook.
Just about evey shop in town has them for $25 or less.
I routinely use one of these with a bolt snap on it.
Drift.
Stop.
Drop hook in a non damaging place.
Catch Bug/Kill Lion Fish/Take Picture/Whatever.
Recover Hook.
Proceed on down the highway.

Chug
Does not drop the hook into living coral.
(awaiting the sanctimonious who cannot wait to start talking smack about hooking into living coral.....DUHHHHHH.....)

Not here. Although I see a lot of people talkng the single tine reef hooks. I use a treble my self. More effective IMO. I would never hook off to live coral with a treble (nor a reef hook, LOL).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom