Pompano Dive Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefastpony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there is a ton of info on South Fl dive charters and it is a great resource. But I have a question regarding carrying the dive flag while doing drift dives. I usually dive with JDC and they just put a DM in the water with a huge float for the Capt. to follow but is seems my exp with charters further south is that they require you to carry your own marker. Since I will be diving in Pompano for my aniversarry in Feb with my wife I will be the one stuck carrying the marker. Is there any ops that let you just shoot a bag or would I have to go further north back to JDC? I just feel my wife isn't ready to dive JDC due to her exp and the depth.

Carrying the float is not so bad. After a while you don't even think about it.

This may be true but it becomes a Pain in the A$$ when you're trying to take pics and catch the occasional lobster.

If you are drift diving, you will be paired with a buddy, and the two of you will be given a flag. Thats how its done in South Florida, and trust me, with the way people pilot their boats here, you want the biggest baddest flag you can find, and a seasoned local captain. Depending on the skill level of dive you are interested in, I will be happy to make some recommendations for charters out of Pompano.

Easy no stress diving - Scubatyme - Most of their dives are relatively shallow (under 100') and their captain knows the reefs really well. This is the most newbie/family/diver friendly boat in Pompano. If I do a charter its usually this one, as its so well run there is no stress no fuss or muss. Also, no serious challenges, or advanced dives.. Probably not a good choice for a more advanced diver, looking for a challenging dive -This is the boat to just chill out on and enjoy the reef. Not every dive has to be the Titanic!

Tech Diving/regular rec diving - Pompano Dive Center - A little more on the divers dive charter level. If you want to do deep tech diving, or want to dive wrecks like Rodeo 25, then this is a good choice.

And of course, there is Miss Conduct, Conrad is probably one of the best captains in the area - Smaller boat, caters to divers requests.

Again, tell me what sort of dives you are hoping for and I will help you as much as I can. I live very close to the charter docks and have been on most of them.

I think Kevin's six pack, you may get the best of both worlds. I've heard he guides the dives and you have Boynton's more mild currents and shallow reefs. I may be wrong though. When I dived with Kevin and Splashdown, he as DM remained on board while buddies and I start float dutie. Easier than Jupiter, I assure you.

Underwater explorers.com

Help me guys. I'm on a mobile devise and can't. Find the link to his op.

As mentioned in the opening statement I'm used to diving with JDC and they have one DM with a buoy and you shoot a bag when doing your safety stop, so I much rather like that kind of diving. I've been out with Pompano Dive Center before and they run a first rate charter it's just that if I could find a charter that lets me signal at my safety stop instead of toting a flag that would be awesom. It's a real pain to carry a flag, watch the wife, take pics, and try to catch bug here and there. I will probably want some pretty easy dives due to my wife being with me something in the range of 70fsw and shallower. I know there are some good reefs even shallower than that and I don't mind. I just hate carrying a flag. I have sent Capt. Conrad of MissConduct an email but haven't yet heard from him. I plan on hiring a DM to ferry my wife around which sort of frees me up from the babysitting. I'm not trying to sound like a dive snob but I just can't enjoy my dives when I'm constantly checking on her, she has no idea of what it's like to be an independent diver. She feels that since she has an O/W card the learning stops there and I disagree. So it is much better for me to have her a DM.

If you're diving in Broward county, unless you're on a wreck, someone's dragging a flag. If your wife is that dependent, maybe she's not all that thrilled with diving anyway. But hey, the DM is the way to go if she really wants to go.

I think Kevin's six pack, you may get the best of both worlds. I've heard he guides the dives and you have Boynton's more mild currents and shallow reefs. I may be wrong though. When I dived with Kevin and Splashdown, he as DM remained on board while buddies and I start float dutie. Easier than Jupiter, I assure you.

Underwater explorers.com

Help me guys. I'm on a mobile devise and can't. Find the link to his op.

Here ya go.

https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm

One of my very fave outfits.

DC

I recommend you go to Boynton or Miami or anywhere except Pompano. With you diving out there without a flag, I dont want my friends or I to be the one that runs you over when we fail to notice you and has to live with that, because you cannot be bothered to carry a flag. Please reconsider what you are proposing. This is really not a very safe idea. And no, I dont think you sound like a snob.

fdarden, are you serious???? Are you trying to imply that Jupiter Dive Center is putting divers in danger by not making them carry thier own flags????? But rather having them use an SMB???? That is the stupidest argument in the world! I would much rather have my 6'SMB than a dive flag anyday. Especially when I launch it from 30fsw I am in no more danger than getting run over by a boat in my bathtub!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom