DiveAssure vs Dan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,
All of the insurance policies that cover evacuation expenses include such language in the policy wording for a few reasons:
  • This language refers to scenarios where a diver needs to be evacuated after receiving the initial medical treatment, usually, to a hyperbaric chamber, or a different medical facility. At this point, Travel Guard should and can be notified in order to assist with the coordination of such evacuation.
  • Travel Guard is experienced in arranging for the best and most professional evacuation worldwide. The injured or even the local treating medical personal may not be able to arrange for suitable evacuation. Contacting Travel Guard will assure a timely evacuation with the most suitable professionals.
  • Some or even most evacuation companies require some sort of payment upfront. This amount can be very high. Travel Guard will pay directly to the service provider and will assure that the injured does not incur any expenses. Furthermore, since DiveAssure offers primary coverage, payment arrangements are done immediately as there’s no need to involve another insurance company.

In case of a life threatening situation, or in rare cases that Travel Guard can not be contacted, the insurance company takes the specific circumstances into consideration.
In any case of an immediate life threatening situation, the local 911 operator should be your first contact for assistance.

Thank you and Happy New Year,
DiveAssure.

If my primary health insurance would cover part or all of my treatment for a dive accident, would I still be able to collect money from Dive Assure or would Dive Assure, sorry but your XYZ already paid and we would either pay whatever wasn't covered by XYX Health Insurance or if all covered, we won't pay anything?

Yeah that secondary coverage clause is for the birds... anybody with a deductible should seriously consider refusing ambulance rides, if possible, unless they know their insurance will deny an international claim, etc.

I'll probably go with dan

I went with both. Knowing DAN is ONLY secondary insurance I was left with the research of what would Blue Cross Blue Shield do then in the event I needed diving related medical care. Well I do know that they would not pay on the spot and would let me have to pay a bunch up front. Who knows what I would get as a reimbursement and I didn't want to take any chances.

I went with DiveAssure for my primary insurance and their program is GREAT. Worldwide coverage and EFT instant payment to the provider. It was a no brainer and I thank alot of the SB people here for opening my eyes to the differences with both.

Thank you again,
Mike

i am on medicare. taking secondary insurance scared me because medicare does not cover outside of usa. i am no expert on insurance but my understanding is that if your primary does not cover at all then any secondary insurer is off the hook entirely. i opted for dive assure because of the primary coverage.

DAN dive insurance and Dive Assure dive insurance are both great. Insure with either of them, your pick, and it probably doesn't matter much as they are quite similar. For emergency evacuation you have to call them and get them to arrange it, and - if the hospital, chamber, doctor, etc. insists on payment up front, both will wire money if needed and requested.

Dive Assure is new enough that it took some time to get all of the states to approve them one by one, but I think that's been accomplished. Their site list two different Description of Coverage

Diving Accident Coverage- for residents of: Alaska, California, Georgia, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Vermont, Puerto Rico. (11 states and 1 territory) and

Diving Accident Coverage- for residents of the remaining 38 states, which totals 49 states and only one territory, not mentioning DC? :confused: It's funny that they miscounted there, but in the actual sign-up, I think that all 50 states and DC are included ok.

Dive Assure is primary insurance. If you have a diving emergency, they pay for it. Done.
Nope, that does not seem to be correct.

Dive Assure is more expensive but again is primary compared with Dan's being supplemental or secondary.
Some of y'all really are impressed with those claims, huh?

Went with Dive Assure over DAN because of the primary vs secondary insurance issue.
It really does not matter.

For those that are not familiar with US insurance terms, what are the implications of primary vs. secondary insurance please?
It's simply how the two coverages split the expenses is all.

Primary insurance will pay out to the claimant upon request regardless if you have other types of insurance. Secondary insurance waits until all your other types of insurance pay out and then they pay whatever is left unpaid.
Nope. Primary coverage means that the insurance carrier will pay as much as possible within the limits of the described coverage, whereas Secondary means it will pay as much as possible within the limits of the described coverage that the primary did not pay.

HOWEVER, even tho Dive Assure claims to offer Primary coverage, you really should read the Description, including...
ADDITIONAL EXCLUSIONS – SECTION I.

Benefits will not be paid for:

9. Expenses to the extent that they are paid or payable under other valid and collectible group insurance or medical prepayment plan;
Which effectively nullifies their Primary coverage claims...! :shakehead: That's from the Platinum plan for the 38 state majority I think, but I think you'll find that or similar on all of them.

i am on medicare. taking secondary insurance scared me because medicare does not cover outside of usa. i am no expert on insurance but my understanding is that if your primary does not cover at all then any secondary insurer is off the hook entirely. i opted for dive assure because of the primary coverage.
Nope. If your Primary won't pay, then the Secondary pays in full within the limits of the coverage. But don't take my word for it. Call DAN and ask them. :wink:

I dropped DiveAssure after 3 years because they use DEPP as their camera equipment insurer. I undrestand that they are seperate companies but your reputation is influenced by whom you associate with and that association sullied DiveAssure's reputation IMO.

Back
Top Bottom