Incident in Cebu - Sharing info (Diveassure)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I speculate the next post will be: "Now they say we are having trouble processing the payment to your bank. We have requested our finance people to expedite. Then another two weeks delay, then you ask them again and they submit request again and then 2 weeks after that it shows up in your bank account"

I hope I am wrong.

Just to close this, I had to send the a couple more emails, but I have received the money today.

Again, this was not a massive claim, but if this had happened in USA or somewhere with a 30,000 USD hospital bill, would have been a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure if any insurance company offers the option to pay directly to the hospital, that may be more convenient I believe.

regards

Just to close this, I had to send the a couple more emails, but I have received the money today.

Again, this was not a massive claim, but if this had happened in USA or somewhere with a 30,000 USD hospital bill, would have been a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure if any insurance company offers the option to pay directly to the hospital, that may be more convenient I believe.

regards

According to the DiveAssure website Diving Insurance - Dive Accident Insurance by DiveAssure

they provide primary coverage......

From their web page

"DiveAssure programs are PRIMARY. A primary policy means that the insured doesn’t have to wait for any other insurance company to pay first. It allows us to pay directly and in real-time to hyperbaric chambers around the world as we do not have to wait for another insurance company to get involved. This helps you not pay a large amount out of pocket. Additionally, a claim that we settle will not have any effect on the premium you pay for your health insurance."

Perhaps this policy does not apply outside of North America???

Glad you received money.

Sounds like a typical insurance company's attitude: Payment is a last ditch emergency procedure, only when they have exhausted every avenue to show you screwed up, and they aren't liable.
Denied claims go right to the bottom line and management bonuses!

OK This is for future reference for those diving in Cebu and other areas.

Dr Michael Perez
Course Director/Instructor Trainer at SDI TDI ERDI PFI
Master Scuba Diver Trainer at PADI
Instructor at NAUI
Diving Physician at Batangas Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Healing Center
Studied Department of Military Sciences Army R.O.T.C at University of Santo Tomas

View attachment 772254
It's pretty funny the supposed list of hyperbaric chambers in the Philippines put out by the Philippine Commission On Sports Scuba Diving has one chamber in Quezon City, Manila, one in Manduae City, Cebu, and another in Puerta Princessa, Palawan. It doesn't even list the apparent one in Batangas of Dr. Perez. I wonder how many others they've left off...I would imagine there is (or was) one in the Subic Bay area from the days of the US navy base there?

It's pretty funny the supposed list of hyperbaric chambers in the Philippines put out by the Philippine Commission On Sports Scuba Diving has one chamber in Quezon City, Manila, one in Manduae City, Cebu, and another in Puerta Princessa, Palawan. It doesn't even list the apparent one in Batangas of Dr. Perez. I wonder how many others they've left off...I would imagine there is (or was) one in the Subic Bay area from the days of the US navy base there?

Well good thing I listed him then. :)

Well good thing I listed him then. :)
It's just crazy that the government agency in charge of promoting SCUBA in the Philippines doesn't maintain a comprehensive up to date list of the local recompression chambers. (I didn't find on online either.)

According to the DiveAssure website Diving Insurance - Dive Accident Insurance by DiveAssure

they provide primary coverage......

From their web page

"DiveAssure programs are PRIMARY. A primary policy means that the insured doesn’t have to wait for any other insurance company to pay first. It allows us to pay directly and in real-time to hyperbaric chambers around the world as we do not have to wait for another insurance company to get involved. This helps you not pay a large amount out of pocket. Additionally, a claim that we settle will not have any effect on the premium you pay for your health insurance."

Perhaps this policy does not apply outside of North America???

Glad you received money.
exactly.. primary coverage..
Means exactly as they state it there.. you don't have to wait for claims to be resolved with otehr insurance which would be secondary coverage..
This does not mean, that they will go out of pocket for you.
And the story here just tells, how much their PRIMARY seems to be worth.. It only means you have to fight one insurance to get what you are owed rather than two..

exactly.. primary coverage..
Means exactly as they state it there.. you don't have to wait for claims to be resolved with otehr insurance which would be secondary coverage..
This does not mean, that they will go out of pocket for you.
And the story here just tells, how much their PRIMARY seems to be worth.. It only means you have to fight one insurance to get what you are owed rather than two..

"It allows us to pay directly and in real-time to hyperbaric chambers around the world as we do not have to wait for another insurance company to get involved. This helps you not pay a large amount out of pocket."

That certainly does more than suggest that they will go out of pocket for you.

I didn’t wallow through all the posts, so I hope you’re ok.
Cebu was where I went down the wall to some unknown depth and blew all the blood vessels in my eyes so the whites turned bright red a few days later back in Olongapo in Subic Bay.
Jeez, what a great dive, narced out of my gourd on air and going down the wall. You can actually get deep enough so that the sunlight starts dimming a lot.
I was supposed to be at a luncheon with the US Consulate that afternnon, but I blew that off for one awesome day and night of sheer squid fun. The consular people understood, but Seventh Fleet was a little torqued off.
The night dancing with four bar girls on my shoulders in Lapu Lapu City was a terrific finisher and the hotel near the bridge with the instantaneous drive-in check-in just wrapped it all up perfectly.
That was 41 years ago, and it seems like…41 years ago.
Oh, and getting back one of my radiomen who defected to the Soviet cruise ship that tied up next to us right after we pulled into port, well that had to wait until the next day.
That ship, the Mikhail Lermontov, is now a dive site in New Zealand. I couldn’t get over all of the Americans on that Soviet POS commiecruiseship watching all those shenanigans.
Years later, I saw the Lermontov passing through a strait in South Island in New Zed just before his unfortunate rendezvous with history. (Commie ships were referred to as “him”. Just a another Soviet abomination of nature.) Never did get to dive on him.
The red eye effect took about three weeks to clear up. In a Catholic country like the PI, looking like the devil himself might have been a problem for some folks, but not for me.
It was overall kinda cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom