DiveAssure vs Dan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
Why should I purchase DiveAssure Platinum over Dan Preferred? What makes DiveAssure better? I'm not pro either way. Just trying to make an informed decision.

Dive Assure is an insurance company.

DAN is split:
  • DAN the non-profit, which funds and supports emergency calls, and research
  • DAN the for profit, which sells insurance

The biggest difference is that DAN is secondary insurance, they pick up where your primary insurance (like Blue Cross, for example) runs out. This has a lot of implications.

Dive Assure is primary insurance. If you have a diving emergency, they pay for it. Done.

It's easy to confuse the DAN non-profit with the DAN for-profit. I believe in the good stuff that DAN does in the medical end, so I have a membership (yes! You can support DAN without buying their insurance), but have a uneasy feeling from the poor history DAN has had in insurance, so I get my dive and trip insurance from Dive Assure.

The best thing is to look over the policies, they are both availabe on the respective web sites, and decide for yourself.

All the best, James

I knew about the two sides of Dan just trying to figure out the insurance side as you always hear pros and cons of each from different people. Especially with Dan being thrown at you from every angle, not saying anything bad but that their name is out there. I like the primary vs secondary though. Now with DiveAssure being primary in another country is it still out of pocket first then file a claim?

Dive Assure is more expensive but again is primary compared with Dan's being supplemental or secondary. Dan's Master plan is approximately equivalent to Dive Assure's Gold plan. Again, approximate. Each of these is different enough that you can't get a 100% match like-for-like. Generally speaking we're talking the difference between say $99 US for Dan vs $149 US per year for Dive Assure depending upon where you live.

Dive Assure does ultimately have larger limit coverage than is available thru Dan and is available to be purchased for 2 years at a time, so you don't have to renew every single year. But again, you pay for the larger limits too.

I've always gone with Dan because of the recognition and it's close ties to the non-profit research side of things. There was a period when I considered not renewing my insurance nor my membership due to some issues with the organization management. Those issues have been resolved.

We are new to diving and looking at both also, but we can not get a clear answer from anyone. Post what you find please.

Dive Assure is an insurance company.

DAN is split:
  • DAN the non-profit, which funds and supports emergency calls, and research
  • DAN the for profit, which sells insurance

The biggest difference is that DAN is secondary insurance, they pick up where your primary insurance (like Blue Cross, for example) runs out. This has a lot of implications.

Dive Assure is primary insurance. If you have a diving emergency, they pay for it. Done.

It's easy to confuse the DAN non-profit with the DAN for-profit. I believe in the good stuff that DAN does in the medical end, so I have a membership (yes! You can support DAN without buying their insurance), but have a uneasy feeling from the poor history DAN has had in insurance, so I get my dive and trip insurance from Dive Assure.

The best thing is to look over the policies, they are both availabe on the respective web sites, and decide for yourself.

All the best, James

I'm with fdog... I support DAN non-profit as they do tremendous medical and hyperbaric research but I have my dive insurance thru Dive Assure.

They both have nice websites with details of their dive insurance plans on them; look them both over and then make a decision yourself. Hopefully you will never need to use them anyway!

Scott

I just bought DiveAssure platinum for my fiancee and I. I also bought the family DAN membership for my fiancee and I.
I would rather go with a primary insurance plan that covers diving then try to hit up my insurance company which may say "WTF LOL STFU GTFO" and not help pay the chamber fun ride.

I have both.
1-Dive Assure, in it's highest form covers non-diving medicine. It is not limited to dive related stuff as long as you are on a dive trip.
Specifically
"Emergency medical, rescue and evacuation expenses for both diving and non-diving related injuries and sicknesses. No deductible."
2-Dive assure, in its higest form has a single premium trip interruption insurance.
Specifically
"Comprehensive Trip Cancellation* and Interruption*, Single or Multi-Trip options: including cancellation due to: (a) Illness, injury, or death of immediate family member or traveling companion. (b) Weather conditions or natural disaster causing delay or cancellation of travel; natural disaster at the site of destination accommodations which renders destination accommodations uninhabitable. (c) Principal residence being made uninhabitable by fire, flood, vandalism, burglary or natural disaster. (d) Member being subpoenaed, required to serve on jury duty, hijacked or quarantined. (e) Member being involved in or delayed due to a traffic accident en route to departure. Subject to $100 deductible"
Regards

I was following this thread contently and thought the Dive Assure top program sounded good on an annual subscription... until I called. Canadians aren't covered and have to deal with a different office that only deals via email. The plan for Canadians is dive accident only and no other benefits for the same price ($95). Here is the link for anyone's reference: DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance - The Best in Dive Accident and Dive Travel Insurance

SO... back to square one and I will likely have to mix 'n match coverages for travel, non-dive medical, equipment loss/theft/damage, and dive medical and evacuation.

We have a plan for medical from work, so that is not a problem. The International Diveassure has dive related and equipment covered but no travel related coverages (delay, interruption, baggage, etc). DAN appears to have full coverage (DAN Divers Alert Network : Trip Insurance) but lacks the equipment loss/theft/damage.

As Canadians, it does not look like we will be covered any lost diving.

Suggestions?

Steve

Has anyone had any experience filing a hyperbaric chamber treatment with Blue Cross/Blue Shield? Did they even know what it was? Tell me how they handled it--how long did it take?

Very detailed--do you happen to know what the medical charge codes are that were used?

Back
Top Bottom