Stupid Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Recently I was at Cape Nubble and saw a diver fall down climbing out of the water. He was diving alone - already a bad idea - and there was lots of slime on the rocks. He was luky that there were tourists around to help him up.

NOT the smartest thing to do.

Did you help him? Had he lost his buddy? There is more to think about here before we assume he is stupid.

Diving alone does not mean the diver is stupid. Bad judgment happens. Many of us dive alone because it is safer than diving with a bad buddy. We also choose to dive solo for the solitude it offers. Did the diver go in at the same point. May have come out down current of where he intended. Could have been a better choice than fighting the current. I see nothing here to infer stupidity given the information stated.

I've slipped and fallen on slippery rocks just once with dive gear on. Getting back up may look like a crisis to tourists, but usually it's just a minute of embarrassing awkwardness until getting stabilized.... No big deal usually, except to one's pride. :D

Dave C

As far as buddies go, 2 divers in gear, unstable on the slimy rocks there (more of them as the tide goes out) often aren't all that much help to each other anyway. They've just gotta do the rock crawl, or hand off stuff in their hands, maybe take off the rig lower on the rocks than planned until they get things sorted out, whatever. I've seen folks on the rocks - there's pretty much always lots of folks on the rocks - help out before. I know I did this at least once when I went there to dive (and didn't, as it was getting too snotty, and one of our group forgot their weight belt, and everything else was going wrong that day.)

Maybe they were stupid, but I wouldn't automatically assume that. Possibly not as familiar with conditions there as they should have been, or sometimes stuff just happens. Sort of the nature of the exit, if you're walking out, sooner or later you're bound to fall.

No graceful way to climb kelp ridden rocks. With gear on or off you're on a slippery slope. Makes boat diving PARADISE!

I've slipped and fallen on slippery rocks just once with dive gear on. Getting back up may look like a crisis to tourists, but usually it's just a minute of embarrassing awkwardness until getting stabilized.... No big deal usually, except to one's pride. :D

Dave C

I wish I could say I’ve only fallen once in full gear! :hurt: I usually crawl the rest of the way. I often wondered if anyone watching me fallin’ and crawlin’ alone, thought I was stupid, now I know..

I was climbing a limestone cliff one day, crumbly, not really slippery,
if you pushed the crumbly bits away to try and get a foot or hand hold

And as I'm clambering, struggling half over the top, a non local rushes
arm outstretched down the last forty five degree top bit and he slips

Not into me or over the top.

We were both very luky.

Back
Top Bottom