Stupid Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It happens, we may be graceful and neutral (at least most of us) in the water but, if you are shore diving you are basically somewhat at risk of falls in those conditions due too the weight and nature of the gear.
Yes, I have fallen no big deal as long as you learn too do so with grace......

Fallen ungracefully, made funny faces, unusual sounds....got back up, acted like nothing happened...continued

Shore Diving = slips happen

Everytime I do a shore dive at Ft Wetherill, it makes me appreciate my small Fleet(well 2 boats anyway). I have been diving for 30 years this year and still slip once in a while(one time I came inches away from landing directly on my camera).

I can attest to you falling and have fallen with you on occassion! Glad we both have boats now. I guess we were just stupid!

I too have slipped and fallen at Nubble. My guess is that the original poster was commenting on the diver's diving there alone. When I fell, my buddy was close by to help me if I needed it. Diving solo and potentially relying on tourists for help might have been what bothered him. (I know it bothered me.)

Thank you, DavidInNH for putting it so eloquently. Your version sound so much nicer than saying the diver was stupid.

Still it is an assumption that he was diving alone (probably was). He may have been separated from his buddy for all anyone knows.

Thank you, DavidInNH for putting it so eloquently. Your version sound so much nicer than saying the diver was stupid.

Still it is an assumption that he was diving alone (probably was). He may have been separated from his buddy for all anyone knows.

If the diver is who I think he is, he was diving alone. (Almost always does.) A posting on our dive club's board discussed this as well and in that incident, he explained the whole thing and confirmed he was alone.

Did the tourists have plenty of cotton wool to cushion the fall
or is that classified information reserved for the CIA. :no:
Cubjective Intelligence Agency

Naughty bad diver.

A responsible diver would have a buddy below him to cushion his fall.:D

I too have slipped and fallen at Nubble. My guess is that the original poster was commenting on the diver's diving there alone. When I fell, my buddy was close by to help me if I needed it. Diving solo and potentially relying on tourists for help might have been what bothered him. (I know it bothered me.)

Yes David I agree with you. I don't think Old Maine Diver is calling me stupid because I fell down without a buddy: I don't know how a buddy would have stopped me from falling under the circumstances anyway. As I explained in my post to the Club, a bubble watcher (who is a also a certified diver) helped me get my gear off though I didn't ask for, or really even need his help. I believe, like you do, that he is calling me stupid because many times I choose to dive alone. If that's what qualifies one as a "stupid diver" than I am guilty as charged. And to make me even more stupid, I was continuing my ocean training in using a new dry suit in the shallows against shore that morning. I chose there because I wanted to use that new water line against the rocks as a safety hold in case of foot inversion. Oh boy - do I ever deserve the stupid award. Maybe our club can give one out yearly and I can get the first one. But, when all is said and done, I am not offended, because he is justified in his criticism of one's diving without a buddy. I will never disagree with the statement that one should always dive with a buddy. A good buddy greatly increases the safety factor. There will never be an end to the controversy over diving alone. Those of us that do it usually are aware of the increased risks involved and choose to accept those risks. I don't want to start a discussion on solo vs buddy diving. Do a search....you'll find plenty.

Back
Top Bottom