Stupid Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No graceful way to climb kelp ridden rocks. With gear on or off you're on a slippery slope. Makes boat diving PARADISE!

Everytime I do a shore dive at Ft Wetherill, it makes me appreciate my small Fleet(well 2 boats anyway). I have been diving for 30 years this year and still slip once in a while(one time I came inches away from landing directly on my camera).

See i dont consider it falling .... its rentry with style ;-)

Whats's the issue? Divers fall every day at that site. Frankly if you don't want to consider falling that site should be avoided at all costs. Slime or seasonal ice with or without suge it's not a ledge to take lightly.

As for being alone I think this is my first thread seen on solo exiting. A new and challenging specialty. Solo diving has been beat to death. Sure doing it in the off season when conditions are more severe and there may be less assistance at hand elevates risk. That's what the solo diver needs to fit into his or her risk assesment for the dive. He chose to dive. Aside from an awkward moment he had a good day.

Pete

Many times I dive Nubble as an independent diver - I do not consider myself a solo diver - that term seems to be taking on a sterotype/classification with a set of necessary skills, experience, knowledge and additional equipment [redundancy, etc.] One of the reasons I have gone there alone since day 1 of my "diving career" is that there are usually tourists, locals or other divers there that are within ear shout, whistle, etc. if I get in trouble. Sure -they probably can't jump in and help me but they can summon help or at least tell the authorities where my body was last seen. Other people being there is a big factor in my "risk analysis" when I get to the site. Several times I have called the dive because there was no one there - but at the Nubble, this is a rare occurrence! Nubble can be treacherous at times, it's a big judgement call. I wouldn't call divers that go there alone and fall down stupid, but I would say they may have used poor judgement on diving there that day at extreme low tide under extremely slippery conditions, buddy or no buddy.

Recently I was at Cape Nubble and saw a diver fall down climbing out of the water. He was diving alone - already a bad idea - and there was lots of slime on the rocks. He was luky that there were tourists around to help him up.

NOT the smartest thing to do.

So, of the two divers in the story (you and the guy who fell) which one is the stupid one?

Hard to tell from the info presented.

:eyebrow:

Another diver slips and falls at Nubble light. If you have not fell down at Nubble you have not truly dived Nubble.

Recently I was at Cape Nubble and saw a diver fall down climbing out of the water. He was diving alone - already a bad idea - and there was lots of slime on the rocks. He was luky that there were tourists around to help him up.

NOT the smartest thing to do.
Between 1-2 k dives and you never slipped? Heck, I've slipped in my kitchen before with no one around to help me. :shakehead:

Between 1-2 k dives and you never slipped? Heck, I've slipped in my kitchen before with no one around to help me. :shakehead:

Solo cooking? Yer gonna die for sure!

Back
Top Bottom