the DIR moniker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys DIR people bring alot of this on themselves. I'm in a spot where I get to see all sorts of diving. Cave, Wreck, Newbies, Techies, Good, Bad and Ugly. With an open mind, the biggest jerkoffs are the vocal ones who say "you're doing it wrong". Which keeps getting spouted to me time and time again by complete strangers from the DIR crowd.

I truly hope that not all of you "DIR" guys are flaming idiots because that Scootergirl looks smoking hot.

I feel compelled to speak anecdotally in defense of Superlyte's comments (only one of the above which needs actual defending): In 2003 I had a GUE Instructor and his students aboard my boat for two days of training dives. On the first day we were headed to Jupiter's Hole in the Wall. I agreed to personally lead this dive, as it -- more than the wreck dive on the following day -- required navigational knowledge of the reef. My tech gear is set up Hogarthian style, albeit with a Dive Rite plate and wing in lieu of Halcyon. I add a Palm Beach affectation, however: my long-blade freediving fins instead of my Jet Fins, in the event I need to swim against typical Palm Beach currents. A young, still-in-the-process-of-being-minted DIR diver felt compelled to tell me, with a sneer on his face, "those fins are going to get someone killed."

Any number of replies flashed before me, including, "Son, I was wearing diapers under a drysuit while you were just wearing diapers, who are you to lecture me?" as well as other less diplomatic yet eminently more colorful and satisfying responses, but I took the high road and said nothing. Even when the Instructor himself said nothing, but gave me a smirk that spoke volumes.

As much as I might respect the philosophy behind the teaching, I can't abide any instructor who condones such a phenomenal lack of class, by allowing (dare I say encouraging) a student to publicly insult the owner and master of a vessel, because his equipment choice falls outside the purview of the zealot.

This is the biggest reason why the DIR term doesn't really mean much to me. There are at least 4 agencies off the top of my head (and probably many more) whose divers claim the DIR designation and have their own specific protocols. Easier for me to have discussions regarding specific protocols/values based upon agency destinctions and what my team at the particular moment chooses to adopt.

For my part, I value the training I've received from pretty much all of the agencies with whom I've trained. I'd like to think that I'm also open-minded enough to respect good divers from the entire alphabet soup spectrum of dive agencies regardless of a DIR designation or not. I've always hated this DIR versus the world mentality. I don't think that one way is necessarily better than the other, rather they're just different systems and you have to figure out what works best for you. To me, we're all just divers trying to hopefully get better, be safe, and have fun. The agency you select is just a vehicle like a model of car which you need to personally choose for yourself to try to get you there.

I guess my issue is that i always make the assumption that everyone knows what I think DIR is when i mention it. At this point (and I am going to steal this from UTD) I think of a DIR diver as a diver who thinks, and not just a diver from a specific agency. If you are thinking about your gear setup, and focus on skills and team you are closer to DIR than someone who just falls in line. Clearly it is not always the case that people really think about their gear, or how they are using it, or how they would need it to be in an emergency (or other problem situation).

People often criticize me for not thinking, because I have decided to pursue a GUE/UTD training path. But, what always gets me is when they slam me with questions about the nuances of the gear setup and how it would be necessary in EVER situation imaginable (mind you I havent even taken fundies yet, I am just going off of my experience with GUE divers AND the literature). However, when i retort, "well, what about your gear setup makes it superior, or at least as useful," they never seem to be able to explain it.

I had a conversation the other day where a dive buddy said, "DIR kit isnt good for caribbean diving, because there is too much unnecessary stuff." I said, "all i carry is my primary and backup reg, my BC, a tank, knife, light, fins and mask, what exactly is unnecessary?" His response, "a can light is unnecessary in the caribbean." In this case I feel there is just angst toward the dive philosophy but also a lack of truly thinking through a gear setup.

I think anyone who want to be skilled, trains to be as good as they can be, and wants to truly be a thinking diver would want to have more than just one perspective on diving and only then could be truly considered as DIR.

Sorry for the rant. Lets see who ive upset now :)

This happened 7-8 years ago and you're still hung up on it? I'd have just told them to go **** themselves and moved on.

FWIW, I've never experienced anything of the like from the GUE instructors I know.

I feel compelled to speak anecdotally in defense of Superlyte's comments (only one of the above which needs actual defending): In 2003 I had a GUE Instructor and his students aboard my boat for two days of training dives. On the first day we were headed to Jupiter's Hole in the Wall. I agreed to personally lead this dive, as it -- more than the wreck dive on the following day -- required navigational knowledge of the reef. My tech gear is set up Hogarthian style, albeit with a Dive Rite plate and wing in lieu of Halcyon. I add a Palm Beach affectation, however: my long-blade freediving fins instead of my Jet Fins, in the event I need to swim against typical Palm Beach currents. A young, still-in-the-process-of-being-minted DIR diver felt compelled to tell me, with a sneer on his face, "those fins are going to get someone killed."

Any number of replies flashed before me, including, "Son, I was wearing diapers under a drysuit while you were just wearing diapers, who are you to lecture me?" as well as other less diplomatic yet eminently more colorful and satisfying responses, but I took the high road and said nothing. Even when the Instructor himself said nothing, but gave me a smirk that spoke volumes.

As much as I might respect the philosophy behind the teaching, I can't abide any instructor who condones such a phenomenal lack of class, by allowing (dare I say encouraging) a student to publicly insult the owner and master of a vessel, because his equipment choice falls outside the purview of the zealot.

There's jackasses trained by any agency.

[...edit: nm, i'm distracted by work and reading comprehension is low right now...]

And I've had recreational divers be every bit as much of a jackass to me as the worst newly-DIRF'd student out there. The guy who loudly proclaimed "I don't do none of that decompression ****" before a dive leaps to my mind...

Why retort? If you can't carry on a non-emotional, rational discussion with someone, why waste your time? I've got better things to do...

I believe in the diving system and philosophy, so I trying (non-emotionally and logically) to show my friends the way. Why would I not want to show others how awesome learning to dive this way is. But I have basically given up, and will not bother responding to critics comments anymore. I have found my really good dive buddies and will just dive with them.

This happened 7-8 years ago and you're still hung up on it? I'd have just told them to go **** themselves and moved on.

FWIW, I've never experienced anything of the like from the GUE instructors I know.

As stated, I related this story anecdotally, not because I'm hung up on it. But like the instructor's silence, it spoke volumes about the attitude he fostered among his flock.

And is this person still a GUE instructor? Does this incident speak to more than the behavior of a single instructor? Does it bear on GUE instructors today?

I guess I'm not seeing the point of the anecdote. Is your claim that other agencies don't have dick instructors?

As stated, I related this story anecdotally, not because I'm hung up on it. But like the instructor's silence, it spoke volumes about the attitude he fostered among his flock.

Let your diving do the talking. If people want to approach you about it, kindly answer their questions. Really no reason to proselytize.

I believe in the diving system and philosophy, so I trying (non-emotionally and logically) to show my friends the way. Why would I not want to show others how awesome learning to dive this way is. But I have basically given up, and will not bother responding to critics comments anymore. I have found my really good dive buddies and will just dive with them.

Honestly guys. I'll admit alot of the GUE stuff makes sense. I dove with a long hose bungied to my doubles for a decade. And the long hose was yellow and it was my octopus not my primary. It worked for me great.

One day I realize that the "gooey" method was better. Primary hose being the long hose on the best post to avoid rolloffs. So I changed. Still most of what I do is simply to piss you guys off. Yes, YOU GUYS that keep claiming that i'm not, and I quote "doing it right". That was actually said to me word for word last month because my mask was clear and the necklace for my octo was orange. My method works great for me, it's worked for me long before "DIR" and "GUE" were known. And as I learn things I like, I'll adopt them, but please don't look down on me because my way is not your way.

I don't really know where to start with this.

The first problem is that one jackass on a boat tells you that clear masks are for strokes and you want every DIR diver out there to have to answer for it on scubaboard? The second problem is that I suspect that you are either making this up or else someone was yanking your chain -- there's no specified mask color in GUE/DIR/UTD/etc (and I can point to GI3 on the gavinscooters list claiming that clear masks are better in his opinion).

And if you're changing your gear around to "piss off DIR divers" you are giving the divers you hate an awful lot of control over you.

Guys DIR people bring alot of this on themselves. I'm in a spot where I get to see all sorts of diving. Cave, Wreck, Newbies, Techies, Good, Bad and Ugly. With an open mind, the biggest jerkoffs are the vocal ones who say "you're doing it wrong". Which keeps getting spouted to me time and time again by complete strangers from the DIR crowd.

Next time why don't you just tell the diver to their face that they're just being a jackass, instead of trying to hold a whole pile of random people on the internet accountable for one ill mannered divers behavior?

I truly hope that not all of you "DIR" guys are flaming idiots because that Scootergirl looks smoking hot.

Careful, that's my dive buddy you're talking about there.... =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom