the DIR moniker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this thread has officially gone off the

61089116thedeepend_35169.jpg

I'm not "changing" the gear to piss off divers, but when it's time to upgrade or replace, I will pick bright blue,orange, pink or clear (whatever) just out of spite. Yes, I care too much. I'll work on that.

*edit*
Scootergirl: In the event that you were insulted by me saying you were "smoking hot", please let me try again.
Scootergirl is amazingly beautiful. It's understandible how someone could so easily be lost in her outward beauty, but the inward beauty cannot be ignored. She cannot be daunted by silly things like Depth, Time or Deco Obligations. She can't be bothered by the sillyness of Open Circuit. She's sexy not only because or her stunning seductive looks but also because she has no fear of life in or out of the water. And have you seen her in an Operating Room. WOW! Breath taking.

I'm sure all the FL girl's dig your shallow, dated "DIR" spite. It fits in perfectly with the rest of the thread and the OP's questions/concerns so its very much on topic. Carry on.

oh and not to burst your bubble but Scootergirl's a GUE-F grad :wink:

Not sure I have any spite. I was intentionally cheesy. And the only Florida girl I'm really after is my wife and mother of my children for the past 14'ish years.

Honestly though...
I appreciate this thread. It's opened my eyes quite a bit. Seriously, despite my somewhat hard initial response most of you acted very mature. Alot of you guys seem like people I could hang around and not want to kill. That's an A+ in my book.

Edit*
Oh, and I have no idea what a GUE-F grad is. Hehe

GUE-F grad are the current scapegoats for past DIR "attitudes."

I don't know any current GUE-F grads in the MoCal area acting like this towards other divers.

Well, the thread started off really well but holy smokes. Is it possible to close a thread and also delete it's very existence? :shocked2:

Ok, lets start at the top... And maybe this is where so many of us lay people are misguided... but, back in the early days of WKPP and an old boy named George... I can show you written word saying black masks/fins/gear was the only way. (Yes, I recently learned that George isn't the founding father of GUE, but that's not what diving society thought 15 years ago.) No, I wasn't making it up. And the guy who said it to me is welcome to chime in, as he reads this page daily.

Thing is, I've never met George, and probably never will. George was never GUE certified. George isn't really active any more in all this noise. I don't feel the need to answer for everything that George ever wrote. If you've got a problem with George take it up with him.

Secondly... I'm not "changing" the gear to piss off divers, but when it's time to upgrade or replace, I will pick bright blue,orange, pink or clear (whatever) just out of spite. Yes, I care too much. I'll work on that.

You're mostly just pissing off the DIR divers in your own mind by doing that...

I've seen DIR divers in yellow drysuits...

She can't be bothered by the sillyness of Open Circuit.

She dives OC a lot, but the death box makes for a more bad ass photo...

And I'm starting to think that someone was just giving you crap about the black mask and that your humor button is a little broken...

GUE-F grad are the current scapegoats for past DIR "attitudes."

I don't know any current GUE-F grads in the MoCal area acting like this towards other divers.

Agreed - everybody I've met and/or dived with has been exceptionally helpful and welcoming, and this includes trained divers (of various levels) and instructional staff from both GUE and UTD. I can only think of one person I've ever met who was ever anywhere CLOSE to abrasive at any time, and they are always very helpful and inclusive once you actually get to the beach. :)

At our NorCal/MoCal meetups (and impromptu dives), you'll invariably see a bunch of long-hosers in plates and paddles diving quite happily with (sometimes brand-new) OW divers in jackets and split fins. I'm sure some people are attracted to being "part of the club" and can pick up a bit of attitude as a result, but in general I strongly believe that we have a good group of people up here who simply inspire interest in the system/training by effectively demonstrating where it can take you in the water. I've definitely seen an uptick of interest in "tech" gear and training at the shop I'm affiliated with. Clearly there's some good evangelism going on somewhere...

I think people who bitch and moan about people using DIR are worse than the (small minority of) DIR people who call other divers strokes and tell them their fins will kill them. Who cares really. I'm not DIR but my care factor about people using the term is zero. I am happy with how I dive and don't really care about what others do with themselves or what they think of my diving.

Also lame is the people who got picked on by a DIR person once and then decide to be anti-every DIR diver. Srsly? That's primary school behaviour.

I think people who bitch and moan about people using DIR are worse than the (small minority of) DIR people who call other divers strokes and tell them their fins will kill them.

What's really funny is the number of people I know who've been on the receiving end from both groups ...

... to some people, if you wear a backplate you must be "DIR", and therefore you are worthy of scorn ...

... to other people, you can't be DIR because your harness has bent D-rings, and therefore you are worthy of scorn ...

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right ... sometimes it reminds me of all banter that goes on in The Pub ... I think we all just need to go diving ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't either ... actually, I was truly amazed at how unpolitical that group was ... at least, the ones I met when I was down there were pretty cool ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom