Dr. Kelp... er Dr. Bill in Alert Diver magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, I don't like to toot my horn too much, but I just learned from Divin'Hoosier (thanks) here on SB that I was featured in an article by Elizabeth Cooke on diving Catalina's kelp forests in the upcoming issue of Alert Diver magazine.

The editors just sent me a copy. I was quite flattered for two reasons. It compared me very favorably to one of my icons, Edward F. Ricketts... better known as "Doc" in Steinbeck's "Cannery Row," "Sweet Thursday" and other novels; and it referred to me as the lowest paid graduate of Harvard University! Most likely true on the second count... after all, I'm just a PhD dive bum.

First The Weather Channel, then Alert Diver. Where are my groupies???

Congrats, Bill, you should feel flattered!

Wonderful article, very informative and well-written. I didn't realize there was so much to learn about kelp.

I read that article Bill, and I figured it was you. It was a good article and made me want to dive Catalina sooner rather than later. I did love that quote about the "lowest paid Harvard grad"!

Dr. Bill:

Make sure your alumnae association knows that you are their lowest paid graduate - it will simplify going through the mail.

Jim

Congratulations, Doc.

As a certified celebrity, are you now going to offer advice on how many sheets of TP to use? :D

Art

I think my alumni association already knows (although the school is in my will, but they will have to kill me to get it).

Art, you should know you have to be more specific on that question. Is it single- or double-ply? Just make sure you don't toss it into the head on our dive boat!!

Bill, I just finished the article. Well written and informative. My lovely bride asked me, “If he dives everyday, just how does that guy make a living?”. I told her that Harvard grads have a special annuity! She just shook her head and laughed, then looked at me funny and asked if that was true for CalTech grads as well. I said, “Nope” :shakehead Remember, I did not graduate!

Dave

Congrats Bill!!!!!

And maybe you should toot your own horn from time to time as you never do and deserve to with your many accomplishments!!

Show off!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom