Dr. Kelp... er Dr. Bill in Alert Diver magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Jim. I hope Fortune follows the Fame 'cause I'm gonna need it when I shell out for all this HD stuff in the never-ending video upgrade! Appreciated your letting me know about it. I might not have known otherwise.

Don't say that Prof. Bill, at least you got someone an A, that is something to be proud of beside your new celebrity standing doesn it?

Roy... it certainly is good to know my web site was of assistance in your studies! The more it helps others learn about the undersea world, the better I feel!

Congrats, Bill...very informative article. Just for the record, not allof us trombonists are lousy. I've made a pretty comfortable living because I play trombone. I can empathize with your band director...every year I have a few that I encourage to look good if nothing else.

xSandman3, good to know the trombone can actually be played well! I think my problem was that I'm pretty tone deaf and the trombone relies on good placement of the slide to hit the note correctly (rather than just pressing a piano key or plucking a harp string). I'm sure glad I'm a better diver (I think) than musician!

xSandman3:
Congrats, Bill...very informative article. Just for the record, not allof us trombonists are lousy. I've made a pretty comfortable living because I play trombone. I can empathize with your band director...every year I have a few that I encourage to look good if nothing else.

Sandman - Bill,
I read this in the LATimes recently and saved it. I played the same trombone in the same HS that my father did. In addition, my daughter-in-law plays the trombone as well.

LATIMES
Trombones have always filled an odd spot in the musical spectrum. Whenever a trombone "got into the orchestra, everyone thought it was too loud," notes David Guion, author of "The Trombone: Its History and Music, 1697-1811." Skeptics included composer and conductor Richard Strauss, who once reportedly said,
"Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them."

This was sure true of my fellow trombone players in HS!

Cool Trombone website from the same article.
http://www.boneswest.org/justfriendscd.html

I am trying to get my daughter-in-law to join me in a visit to the rehearsal some day. Looks like a blast!

Sorry for the HiJack but we trombone players are encouraged easily!

Dave

Hey, Dave... trombone playing is relevant to the thread (at least IMHO).

Before I moved to Catalina in 1969, I sold my trombone and bought a six-string guitar. The seaplane that flew me out to Catalina "lost" the guitar before I "mastered" it. The only song I could play was an old Tom Rush song "Mole's Moan." Not much of a repertoire with that instrument either.

drbill:
Thanks, Jim. However, my band director in 8th grade told me something I've never forgotten. I played trombone as "my horn." I was so bad (third chair, third trombone out of just three in the band) that he asked me to just move the slide and NOT blow through the mouthpiece!

TexDiveGuy... just trying to get my share of the lovely groupies out there! They are beating a path to my front door, aren't they? I've left the door wide open in case.

Scuse me, pardon me, groupie coming through! Hey, it's a long path alright! :D

LOL! Someone has to be the last chair :rofl3: I too am pretty tone deaf and "played" (at various times) coronet, trumpet, french horn and frumpet during my band class days from 5th grade until 8th grade. I think the band director kept changing instruments on me to spare his ears, a french horn has a really quiet tone btw.

Just so you know, it doesn't get any easier when you have buttons as opposed to a slide. What the heck is a "B flat" anyway :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Scuse me, pardon me, groupie coming through! Hey, it's a long path alright! :D

What the heck is a "B flat" anyway :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

First position! (slide closed) :rofl3:

Dave

I just finished the article and logged on to SB to say congrats. Doc has long been one of my very favorite literary characters and now I find out he might be real! Sign me up for the groupie newsletter.
Oh, and I just happen to know how one gets picked to play the bassoon in high school band--by being last chair in the flute section!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom