Dr. Kelp... er Dr. Bill in Alert Diver magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave... I do it by dipping into my retirement. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to ever really retire anyway, so why not enjoy life now before it's too late. Of course if I do live as long as my maternal grandfather (95), I could be in serious financial trouble!

Thanks, Jim. However, my band director in 8th grade told me something I've never forgotten. I played trombone as "my horn." I was so bad (third chair, third trombone out of just three in the band) that he asked me to just move the slide and NOT blow through the mouthpiece!

TexDiveGuy... just trying to get my share of the lovely groupies out there! They are beating a path to my front door, aren't they? I've left the door wide open in case.

drbill:
Dave... I do it by dipping into my retirement. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to ever really retire anyway, so why not enjoy life now before it's too late.

Good deal! I love those bumper stickers on those huge motorhomes that say “I’m Spending My Children’s Inheritance!”.

drbill:
I played trombone as "my horn." I was so bad (third chair, third trombone out of just three in the band) that he asked me to just move the slide and NOT blow through the mouthpiece!

Hey, That’s one more thing we have in common – being lousy trombone players! Too Funny!

Dave

Way to go Dr. Bill. We will respect your authority!

Teamcasa:
Hey, That’s one more thing we have in common – being lousy trombone players! Too Funny!Dave

Hey Dave, isn't "lousy trombone player" redundant, sort of like "lying politician"? :D

Congrats on the mention in Alert Diver!

I'll have to read that article when I get a chance (and when I can find the magazine in the pile of "to do" items on my desk).

You deserve some good press. Hopefully, it will prompt Harvard to do something to help you generate revenue on the Island.

Christian

And to think I sat across the table from this guy at dinner :D
And was on the same dive boat too :wink:

Prof. Bill, I got a 94/100 on my bio report and some of the source I used was from your writing at your website!! YAY!!! I'm happy!

Hey, those of you who know me are still on speaking terms? Absolutely amazing.

This so called "celebrity" really amuses me. Here I am, a simple dive bum with little to no income, no girlfriend, ragged dive gear no longer manufactured, a generous helping of insulation (especially on my belly), etc.

The only reason I qualify for any elevated status is that most of my efforts are to contribute to the understanding of our marine environments both by divers and even more so by non-divers. After all, we divers aren't a large enough community to really effect a lot of political change. If we want others to protect our environment, we need to communicate its importance to the landlubbers in our "neighborhoods."

I'm still waiting for all the lovely groupies... but I'm not holding my breath (isn't that one of the first rules of SCUBA diving?).

dlndavid:
And to think I sat across the table from this guy at dinner :D
And was on the same dive boat too :wink:
did you dive :huh: :D

Dr Bill, I'm glad that your getting recognition and exposure for your good work, and as Christian said, I hope that will benefit you and the island

I'm glad for you Bill. I was thrilled when I started reading the article. I took it in to my wife and said, "You know that Dr. Bill I've told you about on ScubaBoard ... this is him!"

I've only known you for a very short time (thanks to SB since we've never actually met), but I've come to appreciate your work and what you've done as a scientist and educator. I also greatly appreciate your contributions to ScubaBoard, both in wit and wisdom. I've already learned a great deal from your website in advance to my first trip to the Channel Islands. Enjoy the fame, you deserve it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom