Zoop went crazy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a Zoop once. Borrowed it from a buddy as I was in between computer purchases. The damn thing never dived. The only thing that worked was the clock, which was enough to conduct a couple dives, so now their impression is also my impression.

The fact legal intervention was needed to have them issue a recall gives me no confidence in their life support equipment.

Are the same pressure sensors used across the lines? Seems those units are kind of a problem.

The fact legal intervention was needed to have them issue a recall gives me no confidence in their life support equipment.

There is no recall.

They have an air pod recall, AFAIK with no legal intervention. It's an entirely different product with an entirely different failure mode. With dive computers, they'll just replace a failed one even if it's off-warranty. But only for the US users.

My Zoop has almost 200 dives on it over 4 or 5 years. I have only ever had to change the battery. It acted a little 'odd' when it wanted a new battery.

There is no recall.

They have an air pod recall, AFAIK with no legal intervention. It's an entirely different product with an entirely different failure mode. With dive computers, they'll just replace a failed one even if it's off-warranty. But only for the US users.

From the up thread settlement link.

WELCOME TO THE SUUNTO DIVE COMPUTER SETTLEMENT WEBSITE
IF YOU PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED A NEW SUUNTO DIVE COMPUTER IN THE UNITED STATES, A SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN REACHED THAT MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS.

What is this lawsuit about?
A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit against Suunto Oy (“Suunto”) and Aqua Lung America, Inc. (“Aqua Lung”) (together, “Defendants”) concerning certain Suunto Dive Computers. Those purchasers included in the Settlement have legal rights and options and deadlines by which they must exercise them.

Who is included?
You may be included in the Settlement if you purchased new in the United States one or more of the following models of Suunto Dive Computers that were manufactured from January 1, 2006 through August 10, 2018: Cobra, Cobra 2, Cobra 3, Cobra 3 Black, Vyper, Vyper Novo, Vyper 2, Vyper Air, HelO2, Gekko, Vytec, Vytec DS, Zoop, Zoop Novo, Mosquito, D4, D6, D9, D4i, D6i, D4i Novo, D6i Novo, D9tx, and DX.

The proposed Settlement provides for a free Inspection, Repair or Replacement Program to determine whether your Dive Computer has a faulty depth pressure sensor and, if it does, repair of your Dive Computer or a free replacement. The Settlement also reimburses qualifying Class Members for certain costs.
Setting all that aside, I thought the Zoop buttons were terrible and with four of them it should have been far more intuitive. I wouldn't buy one. Standard disclaimer... IMO.

Right: if it hasn't failed yet, you can send it in and a dive shop tech will tell you it hasn't failed and not charge you a cent for saying it.

I expect their pressure sensors come with documented failure rate, MTBF, and all that. Them not issuing a recall suggests that the horrible failure rates we read about on SB are actually well within specs as far as Suunto is concerned.

I had a zoop before 5-6 year and one day it went crazy. The depth was changing from 1-100 continuously the bottom time the same. I send it to service and the change it with a new dc. Now i have the same problem. Yesterday only time was ok. No depth reading. Ceiling alarm always on at around 50m! I will send it to a service center. If it's repairable ok! If not i will certainly not get a suunto again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom