Zip ties...differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the whites ones reflect all the colors in the light, and the black ones absorb them. or is it the other way around.

just my $0.02 :D =-) :D

Boy this is a dumb question. It's not like it's really going to make a whole lot of difference. I mean I wouldn't use them to connect the anchor to the boat. :: :confused: :confused: :: : :wacko: :wacko: :

Looks like the answer is already here!

Just to re-iterate, black is UV stabilized.

I use the flat ones with the plastic flapazoid "zip" hingus - the metal "zips" are rarely stainless and are done in a few dives.

They make flat pull ones - so instead of a big square knobbie-jobbie there is a smooth looking flattened "buckle". Its sort of like a belt. Much nicer on things that will get rubbed against your skin - Inflators, Mouth-pieces, etc. No pointy squared off edges, etc.

I can tell already I've spent way too much time thinking about this and describing this. I need a life.

Hold me....

K

:putz:

bwerb once bubbled...
File this one under triviality but...

Is there any difference between black zip ties and the white zip ties? I have looked at the packaging of several brands and the black ties have variously stated "weatherproof" and "military grade". Is this just marketing or are they actually different plastic compounds. One of my regs has a white tie holding on the mouthpiece, the other has a black one. I just want to make sure I'm using the wrong ones.

I'm an auto mechanic, among my many talents. I used to look for zip strips that had a steel keeper, thinking they were stronger or better or whatever.

Now I avoid them for the obvious reasons.

Black seems to last the longest in sunlight, and doesn't clash with the gear. Black doesn't show the wear and tear, or discolor, like the white ones.

I've bought thousands of zip ties from a wide variety of sources, and I've never seen a credible strength rating. Doesn't mean there isn't one, I just have never have noticed it. I've seen ties that I could pull apart, and ties that require sidecutters to cut. I find the best place to get good zip ties in all sizes is an electrical supply warehouse (not Lowes or Home Depot). You might assume they would sell a good professional grade, as the contractors would let them know quick if they didn't.

I keep long and short standard ties in the dive bag, as well as the small ones for mouth pieces.

While we're on the subject, when you cut the excess tie off, it can be sharp enough to easily cut skin. Get a pair of concave toenail clippers (larger than fingernail clippers), and make yourself a nice, finished cut.

Ok, I am reading in my new GUE DIR book, and it says that you should only use black zip ties.

I guess thats that...

It doesnt say why, but I think you should use black too, its DIR.

sailnj once bubbled...
Boy this is a dumb question. It's not like it's really going to make a whole lot of difference. I mean I wouldn't use them to connect the anchor to the boat. :: :confused: :confused: :: : :wacko: :wacko: :

Yeah right, it's such a stupid question that we already have a number of different technical responses...since I'm using them to connect to stainless steel bolt snaps to my SPG and main regulator (in addition to holding on my mouthpiece), I'd rather find out the differences before my $8 ($12.00 Canadian) boltsnaps start tumbling into the abyss because there's a difference.

A sincere thanks to everyone else who did respond with some reasonable feedback, that's why I love this board.:D

I just responed as Nurseshark!!! This is the trouble with sharing a computer between two people, I go to respond and find out that I've become Nurseshark...the last post was me.:bonk:

Note to self, check to see who is logged on before posting replies, wow that could get really interesting VERY quickly. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom