Zena.. the tank hits my head... How to lower it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tina5269

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I don't see a post that addresses a way to drop the tank lower down my back with a Zena. I just got it, size small 5'8" 180lb women's size 14. Worm mainly No wetsuit - rarely 5mm suit.

I've lowered the tank as low as I can but it still hits the back of my head. I adjust in the water as directed, hips then waist them shoulder. I've tried waist them hip them shoulders... That's a little better.. But it still hits my head. The backplate part looks like it has a 3rd row of loops to put the can band further down. Is that an option? How do I do that the manual online doesn't show squat.

Can you share a picture of your current setup? What is your build like? I had a zena, and bought it because I'm usually a XS in the waist and M in the hips/shoulders in BCD sizing. I constantly had issues with it being sized right, tank as low as possible, and then it would ride up every time I descended and the tank would smack my head. I did find some tweaks to make it work a lot better. If you post a pic I can see if any would help! But ultimately still ended up upgrading it for a hydros pro so my weights would help keep it in place.

The top of the top strap is just at the apex of the tank where it begins to curve. I'll take a photo later.

I had back surgery so I can no longer use my BP/W, even with the harness changed to an adjustable one. I can't twist it bend like before and the setup is just far too heavy now.

Aside from the tank issue, the Zena has been wonderful in the 3 dives I did.

I think we can safely say that when you say "tank" hitting your head, you mean "regulator 1st stage". The Zena has two tank cam bands so you can safely place the tank in the lowest possible position. Also, depending on your reg-set you might look at converting to DIN... Good luck!!

Is the top strap below your ribcage when you tighten it? The last straps adjusted should be the shoulder straps. Easiest way to make sure it’s correct is the go horizontal upon descent, loosen the shoulder straps significantly, grab the bottom of the corset and pull the Zena down until the top straps are below your rib cage. Tighten the middle strap, snug up the bottom strap, then take the slack out of the shoulder straps.

With 500+ dives in a Zena, this process always put the BC in the correct position on my torso and it never moved no matter what position I was in. It also put the tank where I could touch the first stage, but not hit my head on it.

This process was vetted with a friend of mine who was Vice President at Zeagle when it was a family owned business. He shared that most of the time when someone was struggling with the Zena, it was because it wasn’t fitted correctly (wrong size), or being worn too high on the torso, and once adjusted properly, the problems went away.

The Zena has two tank cam bands so you can safely place the tank in the lowest possible position.

I cam second this. In reality, two cam bands on the tank aren't necessary and this would help to alleviate the problem. Now, you may find that putting it even lower causes your legs to hit it which can be annoying so you will have to do some testing.

I also wanted to say that since you had back surgery recently, maybe you should consider going sidemount as it eliminates the current issue and is a great config for this with back/knee issues.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I don't see a post that addresses a way to drop the tank lower down my back with a Zena. I just got it, size small 5'8" 180lb women's size 14. Worm mainly No wetsuit - rarely 5mm suit.

I've lowered the tank as low as I can but it still hits the back of my head. I adjust in the water as directed, hips then waist them shoulder. I've tried waist them hip them shoulders... That's a little better.. But it still hits my head. The backplate part looks like it has a 3rd row of loops to put the can band further down. Is that an option? How do I do that the manual online doesn't show squat.

1. You have the top cam band right at the curve, so that helps.

2. Many BC's don't have 2 cam bands, so it's ok to barely use the top cam band, if at all.

3. If you can figure out how to lower the cam band position, that will likely be enough for the first stage to clear your head.

4. If you're using a yoke valve, a DIN valve has a lower profile and helps prevent head banging.

5. Is your BC adjusted to fit you well? This will prevent it from riding up.

6. Is it possible to attach a crotch strap? If you've done all of the above, it really does seem that your BC is riding up, causing the first stage to hit your head. Adding a crotch strap can keep it in place as well as increase stability.

Each of the cam bands are one complete piece that are looped into the webbing on the back of the jacket. You should be able to lower the bottom one by unthreading the Velcro end from the cam, and sliding the whole thing out of the webbing to move it lower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom