Zena on a ‘sporty’ surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all. It’s time to get my own BCD and I’m leaning toward the Zeagle Zena. For those of you who have one (or other back-inflate), what has your experience been with it while waiting for the boat when the surface conditions are on the rougher side? (for me that would be 3 - 4 ft swells with current, surge, etc, which is probably a lovely calm day for other folks :wink:) I’m primarily a warm water diver and don’t hit conditions like that often but as I gain more experience and branch out, I likely will encounter them more often, most recently in the Red Sea. I’ve read folks’ advice about leaning back a bit under normal/calmer conditions but I’m wondering how secure you feel on the surface when the conditions are sportier. I’m leaning toward the Zena because I’m small and really dislike the feeling of bulk around my waist and sides that comes with the jacket style. Thanks!

I had a crotch strap put on mine - it's an after-market option - but it keeps it in place nicely. this is important to your question because when at the surface, without a crotch strap, it might ride up around your ears (perhaps like other BCs?). When I fully inflate mine I can lean back and look at the sky while I wait for the boat, no problem. I think the question for any BC - in regard to your question - is how does it ride when at the surface? Will it end up around your ears or will it stay snugly around your body - and my gut says a crotch strap will make sure any BC stays put. But I'm sure there are other opinions based on real life experience.

Thanks Kimela, this is so helpful! And oh yes, the BCD ride-up while getting buffeted around on the surface - super fun😅. The crotch strap sounds like the way to go.

When I first started diving, I always used the jacket style BCD's. About 12 years ago, I purchased a Tusa back inflate BCD. It took me a couple of dives to get used to the back inflate system at the surface. I was not used to leaning back. One I got used to it, I never looked back. 2 years ago I replaced my Tusa with the Zena. I have not had any issues in diving rougher seas, although my diving has been limited to the Caribbean and the warmer waters.

Been diving with my Zena for 12 years. One of the main reasons I like this BC so well is because it takes about 4 seconds to unzip and slide out of the vest. That has been invaluable countless times for rough water exits. I usually inflate it, slip out and then swim it to the boat tank side up. I was recuperating from a shoulder surgery a few years ago and the Zena made it simple to hand it off to the liveaboard boat crew before climbing the ladder. 👍 Big thumbs up for that zipper! No fumbling for snaps.

I started with a Zena as it was highly recommended as the best “women’s” bcd, but I’ve since switched to a backplate and wing and wish I made the switch sooner. Especially as a smaller person I could never get the Zena as snug as I would like, but my backplate I can fit perfectly to myself with zero bulk. If you are smaller and want to look into backplate and wings, you might want a short backplate. Halcyon and at least one other manufacturer makes short ones so it is worth looking around for. With any back-inflate setup, just lean back in the water at the surface and you should be pretty comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom