Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry Christmas to everybody !

Anybody diving during Christmas ?

I'm at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia diving the last 2 days and will be diving again today on Christmas Day :)

First time using the recently bought ET. Having a few issues thought I'll just add it here for future references.

1. Before coming for this trip, I adjusted the harness while wearing my wetsuit and placed 1 triglide on each side of the lower D-ring of the backplate to act as a stay thus locking the shoulder portion in a pre-determined length. Comfort wise it was perfect. However, I hit my head whenever I look up while diving in the horizontal position. Its alright if I keep myself more upright. Needed to pull on the crotch strap to pull down the backplate to prevent hitting my head.
Subsequently, I tried to release about 1 inch on each triglide stay to lengthen the shoulder portion. Still hitting my head despite the tank really low. Solved this by making the crotch strap really tight. Wonder if it would help if I release the top part of the shoulder harness connection to the back plate a little bit. The whole idea is to let the backplate go down a bit more along my back. Will try it today.

2. I am using 2 XsScuba weight pockets (1kg lead each) on each side of the lower tank band, and one more 1kg lead on the upper tank band strap in the centre. I notice I have a tendency to roll while underwater. Say I dip my right shoulder downwards, then my whole body tends to roll right and vice versa. I noticed I'm most stable when swimming on my back underwater, ie going backward with face looking up. Obviously the corals and fishes are now on my back and definitely not the way to enjoy a dive ! Any idea why is this happening ? Too much weight thus too much air in the wing ? Harness not tight enough ?

Overall I'm still very happy with my decision in getting the ET. Its more comfortable then the vest type BC. Nothing compressing on the chest / abdomen when inflating. Compact and fairly lightweight to carry around. Dries fast. Cool factor. :D

Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all !

My solution to banging my head was to move the tank right down so that the top strap was not doing anything. This is a temp solution but worked well. I did not have a crotch strap so I will try that in the future.
You roll issue is as you describe, too much weight on your back.
Try a weight belt with 2Kgs positioned around the front. I wore this high on my waist and my trim was great, both horizontal and roll.
I have no problems with weight belts and in an emergency I prefer having ditchable weights that everyone knows how to release.
p.s. Wish I was back in Malaysia, Snow and -7 C in the Uk.

My solution to banging my head was to move the tank right down so that the top strap was not doing anything. This is a temp solution but worked well. I did not have a crotch strap so I will try that in the future.
You roll issue is as you describe, too much weight on your back.
Try a weight belt with 2Kgs positioned around the front. I wore this high on my waist and my trim was great, both horizontal and roll.
I have no problems with weight belts and in an emergency I prefer having ditchable weights that everyone knows how to release.
p.s. Wish I was back in Malaysia, Snow and -7 C in the Uk.

Hi,
Snow and -7C eh.... I am forever thankful I live in Malaysia, sun all year round !

I can't use weight belt as it would mess with the crotch strap. I sort of solved the problem by keeping the crotch strap really tight instead of the DIR recommendation of a bit slack ie can place your hand within the strap. Not hitting the head so much now unless i really really extend my neck.

For the roll, I might try to move the weight pockets to the front on my next dive. Tioman next up !

Btw, the ET is really cool. People keep asking me where I bought it from. And they always impressed with the price and simplicity. Bought my at RM840 (US$260), comes with crotch strap and 4 D-rings. Add RM180 (US$56) for 1 XsScuba utilities pouch and 2 XsScuba ez ditch weight pockets.

Im contemplating getting the Express tech deluxe. mostly for the added snaps and D-ring attachment points.
Ive got a few questions before I order. I will mostly be diving in cold northern California with a 9mm farmer john. Will the standard 24 pound bladder be enough, considering the buoyancy of my suit? I usually wear around 22-24 pounds with a AL80.

Also I am curious about the weight placement. Having that much weight in the back pockets, what will the effect be on my trim and balance? All I have used is a Jacket style weight integrated. So I would like to know the eight placement situation on the express with that much weight.

One more thing: I do a lot of beach dives that involve walking up and down cliffs and rocks. It appears that the express tech would be a lot harder to carry considering it doesn't have much reinforcement on the straps and no cummerbund?

Last edited:
Im contemplating getting the Express tech deluxe. mostly for the added snaps and D-ring attachment points.
Ive got a few questions before I order. I will mostly be diving in cold northern California with a 9mm farmer john. Will the standard 24 pound bladder be enough, considering the buoyancy of my suit? I usually wear around 22-24 pounds with a AL80.

Also I am curious about the weight placement. Having that much weight in the back pockets, what will the effect be on my trim and balance? All I have used is a Jacket style weight integrated. So I would like to know the eight placement situation on the express with that much weight.

One more thing: I do a lot of beach dives that involve walking up and down cliffs and rocks. It appears that the express tech would be a lot harder to carry considering it doesn't have much reinforcement on the straps and no cummerbund?

I have used Express deluxe in Monterrey and Carmel with 7 mm full suit and 22lb weights. I put 10 lb in the weight pouches and 12 lb on a weight belt. I haven't tried putting 20 lb in the weight pockets though they are each rated for 20l
I have plenty of buoyancy with 24lb bladder.

I have done beach dives with this BC without problems. You don't need the cummberbund. You DO need a crotch strap. Without it, the BC would ride up in water.

I really love this BC. It is simple, easy to pack and works great. I recently came back from Philippines and all the DMs there were admiring it for its simplicity and ease of putting on and taking off.

Used the ET for 14 dives already over Christmas and New Year. Love it !

The good points as mentioned over and over again by people : streamline, light, easy to don and remove, affordable price, other diver keep asking about it, quick dry.
The problem of course is riding up in the water, a crotch strap is a must. And it must be secure tight, not DIR way of some leeway / slack. Overcame this after a few dives and readjusting the tightness of the strap.

I'm using it with the Atomic SS1 octo/inflator and the longer length of the ET hose is perfect. I can dive with the SS1 for 40mins no problem with mouth fatigue or dragging. Bonus is the SS1 connection is the same as the ET inflator, easy screw on type.

Conclusion, wonderful BC ! Highly recommended !

I purchased the Xpress Tech this year and got the Deluxe version. Added the Zip Touch weight system and a few attach-points to it.

I'm an uber-novice but dove with it in Belize and Greece. About 10 dives.

I noticed the propensity to float "belly up" with my configuration. Wasn't hard to deal with once I recognized it but I can't do much about changing the postion of my weights as I'm using the fixed pouch system.

In retrospect I wish I had gotten the basic system. I got this BC for travel and while it is still light/compact, the "deluxe" features make it bulkier and harder to pack. I also wish I had weights that were more forward. Of course, I can remove/change some of these options.

Just my 2 cents!

I purchased the Xpress Tech this year and got the Deluxe version. Added the Zip Touch weight system and a few attach-points to it.

I'm an uber-novice but dove with it in Belize and Greece. About 10 dives.

I noticed the propensity to float "belly up" with my configuration. Wasn't hard to deal with once I recognized it but I can't do much about changing the postion of my weights as I'm using the fixed pouch system.

In retrospect I wish I had gotten the basic system. I got this BC for travel and while it is still light/compact, the "deluxe" features make it bulkier and harder to pack. I also wish I had weights that were more forward. Of course, I can remove/change some of these options.

Just my 2 cents!

I have the same problem as you. There is a tendency to go "belly up". I just need to tilt my shoulder either left or right and my whole body will roll. If I don't stop myself, i will be facing up towards the surface. Not sure what's the cause.

I'm using 2 XsScuba weight pockets on the lower tank band (left and right), and 1 weight on the upper tank band in the middle, ie a triangle of weights on my back. Maybe I should move the weight pockets to the front waist strap. However, after about 10 dives I sort of got use to the rolling / belly up and can compensate myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom