Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only issue I had was that the back of my head hit the regulator when I try to lift my head under water. I don't know if I had the shoulder straps too tight so the back plate ended up too high but it seemed like they had to be that tight. I didn't have a crotch strap and wonder if that might help keep it lower. The manual seems to be for the jacket BCs and doesn't really cover priper fit for the Express Tech. Any suggestions?
@skyward: Without a crotch strap, it's entirely possible that the bottom of your rig is floating up and away from your back. That could result in the first stage coming in close proximity to the back of your head. It definitely couldn't hurt to try out a crotch strap, since it should anchor the bottom of the rig better. It might also help to tighten the shoulder straps down a little. The fit should be snug enough to hold the rig securely to your back...and the relationship of the rig to your back should remain secure regardless of your position in the water column (inverted, vertical, prone, supine). Hope this helps...

@skyward: Without a crotch strap, it's entirely possible that the bottom of your rig is floating up and away from your back. That could result in the first stage coming in close proximity to the back of your head. It definitely couldn't hurt to try out a crotch strap, since it should anchor the bottom of the rig better. It might also help to tighten the shoulder straps down a little. The fit should be snug enough to hold the rig securely to your back...and the relationship of the rig to your back should remain secure regardless of your position in the water column (inverted, vertical, prone, supine). Hope this helps...

On this BC it is not possible to adjust the shoulder and waist straps indivigually, the webbing is looped though a metal slide with no keepers installed (normally) so as you tighten the waist strap, any slack in the shoulder section (including that caused by the BP riding up) is taken up as well.

The rig will work it's way up on you due to the way the straps are designed. Normally that is not too big of a problem but for use with a double hose reg (one of my main reasons for the BC) this is a big issue because the reg must stay quite low and sounds like you want it a little lower as well. What happens is once the weight is taken off the rig, the plate works tward your head so the shoulder and waist strap gets loose, you readjust to remove the slack and it happes again until the BP is even with your shoulders. Once there, it can go no higher, problem is, it's too high. What I did to stop it from doing this was to add a crotch strap and install 2 weight belt keepers on the straps just behind the metal rings on the lower part of the BP. Standard slides are not thick enougth so you need to use weight keepers. If you look carefully at my photo above you can see the 2 yellow keepers (sorry had to use yellow to match my DH reg hoses :) ) These will allow the straps to easily be opened up for easy entry but will limit the travel of the belts from the shoulder section to the waist section. The keepers and a crotch strap work well for me.

What happens is once the weight is taken off the rig, the plate works toward your head so the shoulder and waist strap gets loose, you readjust to remove the slack and it happens again until the BP is even with your shoulders. Once there, it can go no higher, problem is, it's too high.

That is exactly what was happening to me. I had tightened the straps a couple of times in the water and then the BP was too high.

Thank for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. I'm using the plastic slides and D-Rings so the plastic slides may be thick enough. Is that a 2" crotch strap?

What about weights? Do you use any of the Zeagle weight systems with your Express Tech or do you use a weight belt?

Doug

I use the belt slides because they are a little bigger than the others but the plastic ones may work. The crotch stap can be 2" but mine is 1 1/2, just because I had the material on hand and it's a little softer than most 2" stuff.

I have a set of tank band weight pockets (Zeagle) I had planned to put on the BC (got them at a deal used) but I may end up not using them at all. I need no extra weight diving warm fresh water and only 4 lbs in warm salt so a weight belt is fine, I purchased the BC for warm water anyway so I may not add them....for that matter I could put the weights directly on the waist strap...I am not really worried about 4 lbs of non ditchable weight. I use my other BC for cold diving- intergrated rear weights and a weightbelt. You can add one of several Zeagle weight systems if you so choose.

I am strongly considering getting a Express Tech. I really like the price tag, but wondered if any of the ET owners are still sold on this BC after several more months worth of use? Thanks

I probably have a 100+ dives on mine: IT'S STILL GREAT! The more I use it, the more I love it! Now, if it only came in camo! :D

Don't have as many dives on it as Pete but so far so good. I got mine with specific dives in mind, traveling with a double hose regs (DH). I prefer to dive with no bladder when diving with a DH reg but the BC still needed the option of a bladder and work well with a single hose reg. Not what Zeagle had in mind I am sure but it does the job nicely. The bladder is easily removed and installed and the wide range of easy adjustments make it ideal for swapping between reg types and diving styles- they are considerably different. Before I was traveling with 2 BCs, one for each purpose which made my luggage packing challenging. The fact that the ET is smaller and lighter than my normal BC is a plus. Around the house I have other more DH appropriate BPs to choose from depending on the dive so it’s not likely it will replace those BPs and I prefer a different BC for diving dry but for the job I intended it for, it does the job very well. Hard to beat it for the price too.

Well, I ordered my Express Tech last night. I'll let you know how it is.

FWIW, I dove sidemount with mine this past Saturday! w00t! I am going to have Scott put in two more grommets so I can hold the wing down and it will be golden!

Back
Top Bottom