Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove my modified version of the Express Tech in Vortex Springs today. I am very comfy with this in a side mount configuration. Tomorrow, I dive the Deluxe version for the very first time at Cypress Springs. This should be a fun test of it.

I use the 44# wing from my Ranger on my Express Tech when I dive here in Minnesota wearing a 7 mil Farmer John. The 44# wing doesn't pack up nearly as small as the 24# wing, it has a separate bladder inside the wing.

I think that if I had to choose one wing for travel and cold water I would get the 36# wing. The 36# wing is the same design as the 24# so the size and weight would not be much different but would be able to handle the extra weight of cold water diving. I wear 22# of lead and use steel tanks which are 8# negative so a 36# wing should handle my rig.

I hope this helps.

After reading this thread and seeing Herman's kit, I'm about to pull the trigger. I travel with a BP/W and have been looking for a lightweight travel alternative.

I'll definitely order the smallest wing, 12" inflator hose, crotch strap, tank mounted weight pockets and accessory pocket. I'll add a few D-Rings, bungie and inner tube bits and I'll have a travel version of my BP/Wing. Will pass on the shoulder and back pads.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to mount my lift bag sleeve to the BP. Couldn't tell if there was an extra pair of grommets located on the rear bottom of the BP. I may have to add these as I carry a small SMB and reel.

Mike

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Lift Bag Sleeve

I mount my SMB (DAN) and finger spool using Zeagle's E-Z Mount QD Pouch and 2 of the Zeagle Quick Link with Strap mounted around the tank straps between the plate and the wing with the opening pointing down. The SMB and the finger spool both fit in the pouch and can be gotten out with one hand . Seems to work well.

I mount my SMB (DAN) and finger spool using Zeagle's E-Z Mount QD Pouch and 2 of the Zeagle Quick Link with Strap mounted around the tank straps between the plate and the wing..

Thanks Claymore. I'll definitely look into this before adding more grommets to the back plate. Ordered mine today.

Mike

If I pick one of these up for travel, can I also use it here in San Diego?

I am considering the 35# wing and both the Zip Touch and tank mounted weight systems. I am 5'10" 220ish lb (but losing).

Locally I dive a 7mm BARE over a 5/3 Pinnacle hooded vest. I carry 20# when I dive my HP120 and 22# with my HP100. I would only use an AL on travel to warm water.

I am going to Thailand in Feb-Mar and then to Indonesia in July, with probably some Central America sometime this year as well, so it's mostly for that, but if I could dive it with the 35# bladder here in San Diego that would be cool.

Sure, why not? It's by far the most versatile BCD/BP&Wing out there. You can go from a Dry Suit to a bathing suit in a nano second. Just pull the straps!

Good, as I just ordered it with the 35# bladder. Thanks.

I was just unclear as to whether that is enough lift for conditions here given my weighting/buoyancy/exposure protection circumstances.

BTW, Doc, thanks as well for the initial post and subsequent discussions that got me considering this gear.

I use my Scout (same 35# bladder) with my drysuit all the time. Remember, the lift you need is the amount needed to compensate for the shift in your tank from full to empty and any wetsuit compression you may have. Properly dove, there is no bouyancy shift in a dry suit during the dive so unless you are diving huge tanks, 35 is way more than you need.

I use my Scout (same 35# bladder) with my drysuit all the time. Remember, the lift you need is the amount needed to compensate for the shift in your tank from full to empty and any wetsuit compression you may have. Properly dove, there is no bouyancy shift in a dry suit during the dive so unless you are diving huge tanks, 35 is way more than you need.

which 35# bladder did you use??...tia....

EDIT:I read only the 1st & last page of this post---nothing inbetween, if it was discussed there, my bad..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom