Zeagle maintenance mystery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently took in a Zeagle Flat Head VI to an LDS for maintenance and got inconsistence answers from the staff on why it needed to go to the factory. If anyone out there has similar experiences with maintaining a Flathead VI, I'd like to know.

LDS Version One: Your regulator was not rinsed enough after use and salted up so badly we couldn't get it apart. We had had to send it to the factory and they sawed part of it off, then replaced it with new parts. [I.e., user error.]

LDS Version Two: Since the last recall, they've been putting the things together much tighter and it probaby got stuck. [I.e., manufacturer's defect]

Facts that might support user error: I did but nearly 80 dives on it since I bought in in March, and the last 28 were on a live aboard in salt water. Since the reg was always on a tank it only got cursory rinsings. Also, I don't soak it because, as we all know, a dust cap is not water tight and I don't want to flood the thing. Still, it did get regular fresh water rinses and a scrubbing in fresh water with a tooth brush before packing and when I got home.

Facts that support manufactuer error. The Flathead VI was recalled earlier this year, although this was limited to models manufactured before mine by serial number. Could Zeagle be over-compensating by torquing newer ones together too tightly? The fact that over-torquing was sheepishly mentioned by the guy who does the regulator work makes me wonder if salt had anything to do with the problem.

Result: Since it's under warranty, parts were free but LDS assessed a $100 charge for shipping and extra labour. This strikes me as steep since it is more than I used to paid for an older out of warranty reg, including parts.

:doctor: I am a factory certified tech of Zeagle equipment. I visit the factory weekly and I personally know the factory tech who would of completed any work on a returned regs. Sounds to me that your LDS is either uncertified on this brand or BS'ing you because of their faulty service. Any Zeagle product cames with a first class warranty. Their regs (modeled after Apeks from when Zeagle use to sell Apeks in North America) are very reliable regs. If you can msg me or call me and I will tell you directly if Zeagle even saw this reg back at the factory. As a matter of fact on any Zeagle product give me a call and I will find out the answer for you. Ph 813-788-6476 M-F 9:00 -6:00 and Sat 9-4:00 Florida Time

Back
Top Bottom