Zeagle Envoy vs. Mares V16 Proton XL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a middle priced regulator (around 250 or below) that will last for a long time and will breathe well at depth. I know it is not going to breathe like a poseidon but i don't want to be struggling to get a breath. These seem to be the front runners in my mind right now but I am looking for more opinions. I need at least 2 hp ports and 3 lp ports on the first stage and would prefer a lighter set up. Which is the better reg?

...both your choices are decent regs, I'd focus on whether or not your favorite local dive shop services/supports your given choice. For what it's worth, I own/dive a variety of regs (Poseidon Jetstream / Atomic B1/T2 / Mares Ruby / Mares MR16 Voltrex / Apeks XTX 200 / Aqualung Titan LX), I've never dove a Zeagle, but overall the public seems satisfied with them...as far as the Mares, while I've never dove the Proton, I've taken my Mares down to 150 ft. deep and been very happy with both models, very reliable with fine performance.
These days I mainly use my Jetstreams for diving doubles.......my Titan LX is my 'loaner' reg...and I mainly use my Atomics and Mares Ruby for single tank diving.....my Apeks XTX 200 is due to arrive next Wed, when I test it out for a week in the Turks and Caicos Islands the end of this month I'll decide how it compares to the B1 and the Ruby.....will be interesting!

Karl

I have a Zeagle Envoy and love it. Just be careful if you dive in cold water. The envoy is not environmentally sealed and is not designed for cold water diving. According to Zeagle's website "Environmental Sealing– it's not just for Ice Diving! Regulators used in water temperatures below 50° F (10° C) do run the risk of ice formation in the first stage due to the cooling caused by the rapid expansion of air from the tank".

All in all it is a fantastic regulator for the price.

Back
Top Bottom