Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he had a free flow on the bottom it would drain him to zero. A zero PSI on the bottom is zero PSI on the surface. Ascending 4 ATM does not increase zero to anything above zero. If he did surface with minimal pressure due to the ATM change it could possibly be enough for a few panic breaths to avoid the AGE but probably not inflating his BCD and give him no air on the surface. He would have to have have the mindset to switch to his snorkel and then have the composure to inflate his BCD. I haven't sen many photogs use snorkels due to them getting in the way.

The SPG, assuming totally proper calibration represents pressure relative to ambient pressure.

A drained tank at the surface is in reality 14.7psi, equalized with the ambient pressure - your spg is simply calibrated to read this as 0psi relative to ambient.

So a tank equalized with ambient pressure at 4ata then raised to the surface in effect as 58.8psi, which should register as 44.1psi on the SPG...

But then again, the tank dosn't drain when a reg is attached... As your talking about PSI levels that can no longer overcome the IP of the first stage, typically in the 120-140psi range - again relative...

Wasn't all this covered in your DM class?

:huh: A vertical swim inside a cave or wreck? I thought those were 'horizontal' . . .
You are correct, I meant to type horizontal.
pardon my ignorance.
We usually do. :D

If I was a divemaster, I would have said divemaster. And yes, I can make that statement with authority. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the difference between being able to swim and not being able to swim. Trying to drown after "swimming" 10 yards = unable to swim. I also know what a C-card looks like. What more do I need to know, in your expert opinion? As for witnessing this trend, I have seen it as have the instructors I work with whose experience largely predates NAUI or PADI. It has been noted by instructors in this thread.
You need more actual knowledge and less arrogance.
And as you are interesting in noting the instructors in this thread, I Am one of the instructors in this thread, genius.

I don't think I do. I already know enough people like this to fear for the general safety of the diving public. I think you need to stop denying an obvious and growing problem.
I am not. You simply cannot think you have that great of an experience base to make such a ridiculous statement.

One does not need to be an AI, Divemaster or Instructor to participate in training provided we aren't signing anything off or giving direction outside the direction of the instructing staff. It is clear what certification I hold by referring to my profile.
Not true at all. You must be a dm, which for Naui is an AI, to assist in any courses, and then you must be under supervision of the instructor. You say you are a master, but there is no designation of such for Naui. THere is master diver, but you don't seem to understand that that does give you license to assist classes.

Fine, SDI then. The point stands that only one agency certifies for this and I doubt (but don't know) that he was carrying that card.
I have no idea yet, either. Maybe we will find out.

Is it common for boats in CA to refuse to allow divers to dive solo? Do they actually look for solo certs, or just go by an assessment of the diver's skill sets and who's a familiar face?

Well it is hard to say what is common for all of CA as there is a lot of coastline, a lot of boats, and several different cultures. What I have observed up here in Monterey (Middle CA) and one Channel Island trip (SoCal) is that the boats provide transportation. They will choose dive sites appropriate for the weather conditions and if informed the level of training of the divers, if there isn't a defined destination (like the Yukon) already established. The only "buddying up" I've seen is the DM asking if anyone needed a buddy and allowing those people to buddy up on their own. I don't recall any boat actually checking cards but on the liability waiver there is a spot to write down your cert information.

The SPG, assuming totally proper calibration represents pressure relative to ambient pressure.

A drained tank at the surface is in reality 14.7psi, equalized with the ambient pressure - your spg is simply calibrated to read this as 0psi relative to ambient.

So a tank equalized with ambient pressure at 4ata then raised to the surface in effect as 58.8psi, which should register as 44.1psi on the SPG...

But then again, the tank dosn't drain when a reg is attached... As your talking about PSI levels that can no longer overcome the IP of the first stage, typically in the 120-140psi range - again relative...

Wasn't all this covered in your DM class?

Yes it was covered, but what's the point as you noted you are still talking about a pressure that is not breathable. So I am not really sure your point except posting the useless math. Do we really need to figure out how many breaths you can get out of 44.1 PSI which as you posted is way under the IP pressure so serves no use at all anyway. It sounds like you are trying to reinforce my post but I can't tell exactly. Or are you trying to lead someone to believe that you can squeeze a breath out of a tank at 14.7 PSI?

The math refresher was great though, good job.

I don't recall any boat actually checking cards but on the liability waiver there is a spot to write down your cert information.

Are you talking about a normal C card or some useless solo cert? If you got onto a boat that doesn't require the physical check of every divers C card I would probably get back on the dock.

Yes it was covered, but what's the point as you noted you are still talking about a pressure that is not breathable. So I am not really sure your point except posting the useless math. Do we really need to figure out how many breaths you can get out of 44.1 PSI which as you posted is way under the IP pressure so serves no use at all anyway. It sounds like you are trying to reinforce my post but I can't tell exactly. Or are you trying to lead someone to believe that you can squeeze a breath out of a tank at 14.7 PSI?

The math refresher was great though, good job.

Maybe if you gave some more thought to his point you'll understand it.

It is good to know that you realize when you are in over your head on a dive.

Are you talking about a normal C card or some useless solo cert? If you got onto a boat that doesn't require the physical check of every divers C card I would probably get back on the dock.

Any card. There are only two places I've been to that required the card: Cocoview in Roatan and Point Lobos in CA. Neither of which compared the card vs your dive plan. Why should the boat have to check cards? We are grownup and can make our own choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom