Your own definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From reading your post, it appears you missed the point. A lot of people define tech diving to boost their egos. It's OK in a general usage, but I don't look at any particular dive and assign it to tech as opposed to rec. Rather, each individual dive is defined by it's limits on it's own merits.

No I get what your saying, and I do agree that some people do use the term to boost their egos... but one could say the same about how someone chooses to call themselves "Advanced Diver" or "Master Scuba diver" etc..

My point is that the term "technical" in and of itself does not really carry any condesndneding or elitest connotations. It's a fairly neutral term that has proven quite useful in describing a specific approach and mindset to diving. If some choose to use it as some sort of a badge or ego trip that still does not detract from its more common use and classification... and it certainly does not imply that most tech divers are walking around thumping their chests and waving their tech badges in peoples faces.

So, the problem you have is with the word 'mostly'? I doubt that either of us have any quantifiers to support our differing viewpoints. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

So, the problem you have is with the word 'mostly'? I doubt that either of us have any quantifiers to support our differing viewpoints. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

"hurt my feelings" ? really now NetDoc... :no:

Sad how you get a little snarky anytime someone doesn't agree with your sometimes bombastic reprimanding generalizations and puts forth an alternative. I don't need a quantifier to support my viewpoint, I just need to go to the Technical section of SB and check out what thousands of other posters have written on the subject of Technicl diving... egos and all.

Lighten up a little bit... " technical" is just a term not a personality disorder

Same things about ego could be said for DMs or even some instructors. I don't see that being stated when one asks what a DM is... And look at how quickly NetDoc's post went from technical diving to instructors and their own egos?

As others have pointed out there are differences between what most understand to be tech diving and, let's say, not technical, because both are recreational. Maybe the problem is that "technical" is too broad of a term, maybe it's best to say "cave diving" or "wreck diving" or....

And of course that tech and non-tech diving is not divided by a wall, they fuse in the middle.

Most people I know use the term technical diving to describe dives where direct access to surface is not possible. Ice, cave, deco... Then there is the "rrquires planning" aspect. Search and recovery can be a lengthy and very technical pursuit and yet it is not seen as "tech diving". Diving in contaminated water (think agriculture and cows) can require special gear (ffm). Diving in nil visibility at 2m/6ft depth can be technical and demanding as entanglements can occurr and buddy communication is by touch only. Thus, there are numerous demanding scenarios in diving that are done recreationally and not considered as tech.

Yes, as a search term / category on Amazon or to split available courses into smaller menus on websites... tech is usable. I would prefer deep and penetration categories however.

Sad how you get a little snarky anytime someone doesn't agree with your sometimes bombastic reprimanding generalizations and puts forth an alternative.
Actually, you're the one who seems upset about my "alternative view". This proves my point though... see what happens when someone's opinion disagrees with a few? Battle lines are drawn, you're called bombastic and accused of heinous acts disparaging others. I guess I hit a bit too close to home on this one. Sorry to have harshed your mellow with simple realities.

Lighten up a little bit... " technical" is just a term not a personality disorder
Are you sure? Delusions abound in this sport but seem to be concentrated among 'tech' divers. 2 phunni that.

Maybe the problem is that "technical" is too broad of a term, maybe it's best to say "cave diving" or "wreck diving" or....
Precisely. The distinction isn't clear, except as an umbrella for specific activities.

And oh, I hate beeing called technical diver as I feel that it sometimes creates a social boundary between people. Sometimes I want to dive with people that just learned to dive. The excitement and enthusiasm can be inspiring and sharing experiences is fun. Much more fun than beeing a role model. So "technical dive" is something that I could possibly (but unlilely) use. There are more accurate terms for.my uses. "Tech diver" however is not my favorite. All dives should be planned. All dives can kill.

OP asked for people's personal definitions of technical diving.

So.... we're all right.... even those who don't recognize a boundary between 'recreational' and 'technical' diving.

But that's the wonder of language... we... the human race... create words to describe and differentiate objects and concepts.

'Technical Diving' didn't need a classification back in the 70's. Big deal.

Times change.

Some people abuse definitions to create clique or elitism. True, they do. Some other people are insecure for the same reasons and attempt to 'undefine' concepts to salve their egos...

The rest of us just get on with diving. And if you ask what type of diving I'll be doing tomorrow, I'll say 'technical diving'....... and everyone will know what I mean. Clever...

If we're talking purely language.... these words mean:
Screenshot_2015-08-31-16-22-04-01.jpegScreenshot_2015-08-31-16-21-39-01.jpeg

Actually, you're the one who seems upset about my "alternative view". This proves my point though... see what happens when someone's opinion disagrees with a few? Battle lines are drawn, you're called bombastic and accused of heinous acts disparaging others. I guess I hit a bit too close to home on this one. Sorry to have harshed your mellow with simple realities.

Are you sure? Delusions abound in this sport but seem to be concentrated among 'tech' divers. 2 phunni that.

Not upset chief, I'm quite comfortable with alternative views but apparently it is you who seems to be missing the point.

More specifically it is your approach in putting forth your views - whether you're discussing the definition of suicide, analyzing "groupthink", or any other number of topics you've posted on lately that I find to be rather bombastic and brash... at times, talking AT people in a typically condescending, dismissive, or snarky fashion if their views don't jive with yours.

Really, it's not necessary... unless your views are so lacking in substance that you need to resort to your "Bullhorn" approach or sarcasm to try and make a point.

I expect it won't change.

My sincere apologies to the OP for this digression... this seems to be happening quite a bit on the forum lately when NetDoc chimes in, but he's right about one thing... delusions do abound in this sport - 2 phunni that :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom