Your own definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One in which you no longer have direct access to the surface, whether because of a real or virtual(required deco) overhead.

That's pretty much what I use.

Getting paid makes you a professional diver, which will be a commercial diver, a public service diver, a divemaster, or an instructor. Someone could be all four--it depends upon what is happening on a particular dive.

I agree completely with all of the above plus it also reflects the diver's attitude in considering the risks of diving to be real and omnipresent. A technical diver embraces redundancy, planning and risk mitigation. I think it is possible to be a technical diver in a recreational environment based on training, equipment and attitude.

I agree completely with all of the above plus it also reflects the diver's attitude in considering the risks of diving to be real and omnipresent. A technical diver embraces redundancy, planning and risk mitigation. I think it is possible to be a technical diver in a recreational environment based on training, equipment and attitude.

Embracing redundancy, planning, and risk mitigation is a natural consequence of not having direct access to the surface. All problems must be solved at depth. On a recreational dive, a diver experiencing an emergency can go to surface (barring, of course, something like an entanglement).

Then we need to differentiate between a technical diver and a technical dive. Once a person becomes a technical diver, they will almost always take what they learned in their technical training with them on all dives. That does not mean all their dives are technical dives. A technical diver can do a recreational sport dive.

BTW, the harder thing to do is find an accepted word for dives that are not technical. Most people use the term "recreational" for dives that include a direct access to the surface at all times. Others argue that all non-commercial dives are recreational, and they use the term "sport diving" for those dives.

Commercial diving would be getting paid (to perform some sort of work), a subset of professional diving (which would include instructors). Technical is a subset of sport diving wherein overhead or decompression obligations would prevent direct access to the surface.

I do not like the recreational adjective for non technical sport diving as both are recreational unless you are getting paid.

N

Once the dive exits the minimal training level and boundries for recreational diving certifications. That is depth, time, ndl, overhead, gasses excluding basic nitrox, I would call it technical. I know this will stir the pot and receive comments like are photographers considered technical. I think the majority know what I mean. Exceed 130 ft, exceed NDL, use gasses beyond 40% nitrox, engage in overhead diving, possibly using doubles, divers using stage tanks ect.

One in which you no longer have direct access to the surface, whether because of a real or virtual(required deco) overhead.

Nice definition. But to tighten it, Is a swim through a technical dive? Is a Cavern dive a technical dive?

- Cavern Diver Specialty Rating, 130 feet Max Distance from the surface (vertical and horizontal distance included). Penetration only allowed within the light zone of a cave. Light Zone is a part of the cave from which natural light illuminating from the Entrance is visible AT ALL TIMES. Cavern diving is different from Cave diving. Cave diving is a dive conducted beyond the light zone of a cave and is in the realm of technical diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom